Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charlie Hunter Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jan 24, 2006.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Are there any other builders out there (other than Ralph Novak) who will make one of these or a similar styled instrument?

2. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    bump.

Also, iF I were to take the same principle, 3 bass strings 5 guitar strings and apply it to a parallel fretted instrument, what do you guys believe would be the best scale length. The bass side on the CH sig is 28 or 28.something". I was thinking I could do 28 or 29... but I don't know if it will be easy to find guitar strings that fit that length. I should maybe take this over to the luthiers corner.

3. I imagine that some of the more custom builders would do one. Here's one that TK Instruments built. It's pretty similar. I personally don't like that body style, but he does some other ones too. I don't like the original bridge, but if you scroll down there's the newer midi bridge that looks nice.

I've had thoughts of building a similar instrument for myself. One day I'll get to it.

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    the bass pickups always seem to look like 1/2 of a standard P pup... would that work?

5. It would work so long as the pole pieces are under the strings correctly. I noticed that Charlie's guitars look to have a full P pickup but with both of them lined up under the bass strings. I think that I'd personally want something different than that, but I believe that if you're looking to have a pickup specifically for the bass strings and then separate pickups for the guitar strings then it's either P's or something custom wound.

6. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    My ideal setup would be a P pickup for the bass strings and 2 single coils (neck & mid) for the guitar. I'd have 1 vol & tone for the bass and same for the guitar as well as a 3 way switch (neck, mid, both). I figure ALL the hardware and electronics would cost me about $300-350 USD. and I think I'd be looking at $1-1.5gCAD for the lutherie. then another $700 CAD or so for a suitable amp (PEavy Delta Blues or Classic 30) Definately a long term project that I'll likely never go through with. I just would like to come up with a functional scale length which doesn't require me to constantly custom order strings or anything like that.

7. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Oops, I didn't count a bridge in there... the Novax ones are 260...I wonder if I could find a cheaper alternative via ABM or something...

8. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
  9. I think that you can find the ABM indi-bridges for guitar for about $15 per string.

10. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    for 3 bass and 5 guitar indi bridges from ABM cae to about 245 IIRC off of allparts.so about a 20-25 $ difference. Its mainly a good scale length that's my biggest question. I think 29 would work out nicely... its just I don't know if they have guitar strings that are long enough...

11. Allparts' prices are pretty steep for those bridges. I think that I found them elsewhere for $18 IIRC. Also, ETS has equally good hardware at better prices and they'll do custom machining at very good prices as well. They have indi bass bridges but I don't see any indi guitar bridges on their site. I have their indi bridges on my 8 string and they are excellent. I think that I paid around $160 CDN for the 8 bridges.