Charlie Hunter

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mz91, Jun 16, 2003.

1. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Well i was at the CD store today and as i was going through the jazz section i saw a picture of a pretty looking bass on the cover of the cd. When i took it out i noticed that the first 3 strings were bass strings and the next 5 were guitar strings. needless to say i was stunned. I saw the name charlie hunter and it rung a bell. I went to listen to it and was pleasantly surprised. the guy rocks. He plays bass and guitar at the same time! If you like a mix of chill jazz and funk you should definately check this guy out. Its really amazing music. The way he fuses guitar and bass was really nice. Well just wanted to hear more of what you guys thought of him. thanks! Michael :bassist:
  2. theydolph

theydolph Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    I got a chance to see him last year when he played in my area. i SAW him playing and i still couldn't comprehend what he was doing.
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Good stuff. When he still lived in Berkeley I used to see him often at the Elbo Room in San Francisco and other local joints. I just saw him a few months ago in Annapolis.

He said something like the way he got started was learning every James Brown song on guitar and bass and learning to play them both at the same time on his 8 string. His B3/leslie sounds are also nice, great virtual organ work.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Did the bell sound like this: "Bing, Bing, Bing!"?

brad cook
  5. waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Decent album. Pick it up just to marvel at his skill. And while you're at it, pick up D'Angelo's Voodoo, he's on a few on those tracks.
  6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Caught him a couple of months ago opening for Yonder Mountain String Band and dug the hell out of his performance. I've been a fan of his for quite a while and this was the first time I got to see him live.
  7. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Oooh, he's great. I've got all his w/ the trio, and something with ch and a percussionist (can't remember name) as well. i love his nirvana remake. i caught him on bet a while back to, quite good.
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You can hear him getting better with each record.

I think his gimmick actually makes him a better player. Rather than succumb to guitar and/or bass wankery, the task of maintaining both parts simultaneously forces him to distill the melodies and bass parts to their essence. There are a lot of ordinary bass players who don't groove as well as he does.
  9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hearing the evolution of his playing from the first trio album to his latest cd is pretty amazing.