Charlie Parker's "Donna Lee"- unaccompanied bass - Mauro Di Nisio

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Mauro Di Nisio, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Enjoy!

vin*tone, Joshua, J_Bass and 4 others like this.
  2. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    I’ve been working on this head also, with somewhat different fingering. So much “bebop information” in the head to Donna Lee!

Mauro Di Nisio and Tom Lane like this.
  3. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Great playing, thanks for sharing!

Can I be that guy and point out that Donna Lee was actually composed by Miles?

Mauro Di Nisio likes this.
  4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Or so he claimed.

Dubious.

5. Thanks!

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, I think there's some evidence for it being pretty "square" compared to other Bird contrafacts. Here's DONNA LEE

even in his solo he's got a lot more rhythmic displacement and harmonic alteration than the new "melody" on INDIANA.
    And here's his line on EMBRACEABLE YOU, called QUASIMODO

oliebrice likes this.
  7. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    There is supposed to be a citation in a Gil Evans Bio (maybe "Out of the Cool"?) which says he was looking for permission to make an arrangement of Donna Lee for Claude Thornhill. He went to Bird first, but, as the story goes, Bird told him that Miles wrote the tune.

Personally, I always thought it was a Bird tune, but this is persuasive evidence, if it's accurate.

8. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    That's a fair example, but to my ears "Donna Lee" sounds far more Bird-like than Miles-like. Not to say that Miles couldn't try to write something more in Bird's style.

But knowing a little something of Miles' temperament, I find it inconceivable that he would keep quiet and refuse credit or royalties all those years if he had actually composed "Donna Lee." When he mentions it in his autobiography, he is very nonchalant about it; but at the same time, he talks about how "hurt" he was when people started giving Bill Evans credit for "Blue in Green."

Miles has quite a history of claiming authorship for tunes he didn't write.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021