CHarlie & the Chocolate Factory

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jul 17, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Anyone see it yet? Magical! Johnny is just unbelievable, (well at least of his time!!) His perfromance in the jungles of loompa land were reminiscant of Hunter in Fear & Loathing. His overal performance was just...great. The music in the movie was really sweet too!

I think I preferred to the original but it's been a REALLY long time since I've seen the original.

I love Tim Burton too, his work just never seems to get stale.
  2. AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    Hell yeah. That movie was f'in fantastic. I love Johnny Depp...and by the way, you're way right with the fear and loathing reference. I give it an A+.
  3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Haven't seen the movie, but something has been bugging me ever since I saw the first previews and posters awhile ago...

Does Johnny Depp look rather, erm, "feminine" to any one else here in this particular movie?
  4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    not worse than Ed Wood or Before Night Falls (at least that was the title IIRC),
  5. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I got it on DVD for $4 in Chinatown today. I'll watch it when I get around to it.
  6. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
  7. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I thought that the movie was amazing.

Johnny Depp seriously does an amazing job, and the script was re-written really well..

Definetly in my opinion best movie of year.
  8. I enjoyed the movie.

Having seen "Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory" you have to fight your preconceptions of the movie.

The only thing I didn't like is you didn't really get to know any of the characters.

And I really missed the "Daddy I do NOT want a boat like this!" :D
  9. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    true, I think the older movie gave you a bigger understanding and connection to the children whereas this one foccssed on Willy which I found brilliant. The conncection I made to him and the things I interpreted were quite somehting, it really put a different perspective on the book/movie.

That fat German kid was a riot!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I remember that Charlie's family was so poor that they only had cabage in hot water to eat.What year did it come out?.
  11. Is this version a Musical like the Gene Wilder movie?

[singing]..."..La-da-dee, La -da-dee, La-da-[something]..Your Imagination..."..[/singing]

...and that song that Veruca (?) sang...

[brattysinging]..."...I want the World.; I want the WHOLE World.."..[/brattysinging]

.... does it have those? Those sogs PWN!
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It was a good performance. Though I think Edward Norton, Robert Deniro, and Tom Hanks are/were at one time as good, if not better.
  13. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    After seeing the commercials, it has come off to me that you need to be on "something" to appreciate and enjoy the movie.

It just looks a little too far out for me. Am I wrong?
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One of the reviewers on Cable News said-
    "This could be called The Michael Jackson Story...a middle-aged white guy lures children to some kinda fantasy land in order to abuse them".

The boat/tunnel scene from the original '70s movie made it onto Bravo's "100 Scariest Moments" in movies. did come outta nowhere.
  15. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
  16. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Saw it yesterday - "Good" but not "Better" compared to the original - if I had my druthers I'd say put them both on a special edition DVD and let everyone see the differences -

Depp's Wonka was much more self-centered but not necessarily on purpose (he's lived alone in a factory for XX years) - heh, his far-out-man lingo from being 20 years behind the general public is hilarious.

Wilder's Wonka was better at feigning concern for the children in this just-plain-perfect sarcastic way ('Oh my, I hope she's going to be alright!' *roll-eyes* type stuff).

Anyways - yes, it's got musical numbers, only 4 of them though (one for each dispatched naughty child) - funny stuff mixed with cheesy stuff, as can be expected.

I give it a 3-1/2 of 5, probably same for the original. Not that you care what I think =0)

17. ...So no Oompah-Loompah Song? :crying:

Does Johnny Depp's ~W. Wonka~ sing?
  18. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I think Tim Burton's fascinatingly consistent with innovation. Nightmare Before Christmas shows his genius with musicals.
  19. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Wilder pwns Depp, anyday.
  20. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i agree...