1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Charlotte N.C. area out of gas....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rathead123, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Most of the gas stations are out of gas, and the ones who have gas are only allowing small amounts to be pumped. People are running out sitting in lines waiting to get to the pumps. The news people say its because of shortages brought about by damage from Huricane Ike. As Im 30 miles north of Charlotte, some gas stations are out as well. Ive driven Izuzu diesels for years, aka Chevrolet LUV, and get 45 miles per gallon, and have my own diesel tank and pump here as we run farm tractors and stuff. So I havent been affected. I do have few gas burners, Ill let them sit till this blows over. There are a few articles on the net, Drudge report has one.

2. jon118

jon118

Apr 19, 2008
    Well I'm glad I'm in Raleigh and not there right now. I'm also glad I have an almost full tank. That should be fixed this weekend though. :(

3. Just heared a news flash on local Charlotte radio station, they dont see it improving any time soon. The pipeline from Galviston to Charlotte is running at a "trickle". And the prices have 'jumped" up also. There is fighting going on at the pumps and the police are onhand at stations pumping gas.

4. Hopefully it clears soon, have seen things like that happen and it just gets nasty :(

5. That's nuts. My wife told me this yesterday and I politely called her misinformed.

Mike

6. Interesting, I'm not seeing any effects of this in Greensboro...

:confused:

7. I just read the same thing in the paper this morning. Ok so it was a tiny article near the back of the paper, but apparently its news up here in Canada.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    atlanta is pretty dried up too. hope it clears up by november though - that's about when i'll need to refill my tank :D.

/priusmug :hyper:

9. down here in south carolina weez outta gas. you gotta do some huntin to find gas, then, when and if you do its $3.99 a gal. i will call the station to see if they have gas before i go. aint wastin gas huntin gas.

10. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I was filling up my car yesterday, and after about $14 worth, the friggin station completely ran out. Oh yeah, and that was 1 of about 20 stations that I passed looking for gas.

I went out again last night in the wife's car with a couple 5gal cans looking for premium...YEAH RIGHT! Best I could find was 89, so I got 5 gal and a couple bottles of octane booster.

I really hope my singer can find gas in Atlanta to make the 2hr drive here for the show we're playing Sat night.

11. We had that happen here in Knoxville, TN 2 weeks ago. Gas was 5 dollars a gallon at the stations that had it. Highest prices in the country at the time. Now we are out of 93 octane.

12. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Gotta love self-fulfilling prophecies.

13. Good thing you can make it that long, dont appear to be a long term solution in sight. Tankers are gonna try to relieve the shortage short term, but the pipeline from Texas is not up to capacity. Charlotte, Atlanta, and other large metro areas consumption rates are so high, the supply can't keep up.

As for Greensboro, I think the futher north you get from Charlotte, the better off the supply becomes. Im in Mooresville, which is out also, but I can make a 20 min ride to Salsbury, I hear they have gas. Ive got plenty of diesel in the ground, no problems on my end.

This may turn ugly..fighting in the streets. etc

14. $14 worth? Thats like 3 gal's cause its as much as $4.25 a gal around here. and thats for regular 87.

15. Well, I saw it today, there are several stations with no gas, and those that have it are now requesting that fillups are limited to 10 gallons per vehicle.

I got gas at lunchtime, no real line, but the pump took at solid 10 minutes to put 10 gallons in my car, as opposed to the one minute typical. Definitely seeing signs now...

:meh:

16. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    yep. i'm at a half a tank right now and i have cut out all extracurricular driving. back and forth to work only. no eating at restaurants, no gym, nothing. gee folks, think we need an alternative fuel source now?!?!?!?

fortunatley, if i had to i can start walking to work. 1.5 miles. i have bad knees so it will kill me but hey, hopefully i can loose some weight in the process.

17. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Down in Rock Hill (just south of Charlotte) there is 0 gas to be found, anybody without gas this morning didn't make it to work.

This is the second time in two weeks that this has happened.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oo man, get a cheap bike, will do wonders and is way easier on the ole joints.

19. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Wilmington's doing okay, but some friends of mine in Charlotte say they've had to drive all the way across town to find gas.

20. There is a little being trucked in. The pipeline is the areas sole supplier, then it is trucked out to the outlying ares. Wilmington gets gas from the coast, and so does the eastern part of the state.
    Some say the pipeline is at 70% some say 20%. Anyway, Houston areas hurricane damage is to blame.