1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chart for Poinciana?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by WillBuckingham, Apr 1, 2006.

1. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Does anyone have a good chart for 'Poinciana'?

Thanks,

Will

2. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are charts in:

"Real Book 3," page 240
    "Jazz Fake Book," page 302

If that's any help.

3. Ahmad Jamal has the best chart IMHO.
    Poinciana, is that your nose or a banana?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

How about the worst chart :

poinciana.

or

poinciana-town1.

:D

5. THE ahmad arrangement is transcribed (bassline too) in an ahmad jamal book of transcriptions.

6. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks for the advice and/or jokes. I actually found a decent chart in one of my fakebooks, but their are a lot more changes than on the recording that I have, which, incidentally, is the sound the group is going for: Cal Jader. I guess I'll just transcribe the changes off the recording.

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Does anyone know for sure if this transcription is from Live at the Pershing or from Poinciana?

8. Not to drop names, but I spent a couple years playing with Cal Tjader and Armando Perazza. Did one album together: Latin+ Jazz=Cal Tjader.
    I learned enough about latin playing from Armando to last a life time.

9. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but the record I have called Poinciana is a repackaging of "live at the Spotlight Club" EXCEPT for the track Poinciana, which is a shortened (radio edit?) version of the track from the live at the Pershing recording. That is to say, it's the *same* track, just with a bunch of stuff in the middle cut out.

Brent

10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The recording that I have called Poinciana has a guitar on it so it's definately not the same track as the live album.

11. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Cool man. I'm kind of embarrassed at my spelling in the above posts, but the only exposure I've had to his music is from a burned CD with "Cal Jader" written on the cover. Regardless, I dig the music a lot, that's really cool that you played with him, I'll see if I can find that recording.

12. I thought about that, but I figured you should learn to spell his name. I think it's a Nordic kind of name.
    We had a great time.
    Besides, you ain't the only one around here who has a tough time spelling names.

Here's a quick PW O.T. We talked about this a couple years back, and Marcus Johnson will back me up. He was there at the Red Onion in Aspen where we spent the winter and summer seasons. What a gig.....Joe Kloess piano and Mike Buono, my witness, on drums. Cal always had with him a beaded goard with a sound that took nature a couple hundred year to create. It had been given to him by his mentor in Baia. Other acts: Pete Barbuti, the jazz comedian, and the great singer Ethel Ennis.
    On and on.
    Anyway, Cal Tjader had this bad habit of laying down on the floor his beloved goard ...not a good thing to do, because the rest of the of the band marches right past it on thier way off the not very well lit stage. Actually, it was just Armando, Buono then LAST of course....ME!!!
    Yes dear Lord, it was ME who made that disastrous crunching noise with the gourd that took a couple hundred years for nature to create.
    Mike will, of course, remember that one.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hah! I bet you can still hear THAT sound in you head...