1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Charts?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BWileyTally, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Ok, before I get flamed, I tried to search for charts.....came up with an error message. Soooooo I figure the best thread to ask is in the general instruction thread.

I'm pretty new to bass, less than one year. I'm learning a great deal and am already considered a pretty good player, helps to convert from guitar I think. Anyways, I keep seeing on several threads people providing "charts", I assume its chord changes etc. but have no real clue. Any examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

B

2. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    Yep, chord charts. They help if you know chord construction and some theory. They are fantastic imo. Much better than tab, which is usually wrong, and I can't read music worth a damn. But if I can listen to the song, peek at the chord chart, I can figure out the majority of bass lines for cover tunes very quickly. If they're chord charts for originals then you've got an opportunity to do your own thing with the line.

If you learned chord structures on guitar, you should be fine with charts.

3. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Chord charts, go to your music store and buy a real book or get the irealb app if you got a mac product.
    If you can get into the habit of reading and learning through charts instead of tabs do so as quick as you can. Learning charts will only help you get better much faster than tabs will.

4. Yes coming from guitar the learning curve is not that steep.
    We play chord tones one note at a time. Just roots, then when that gets easy add a 5. When that is comfortable bring in the octave 8. Work toward getting the correct 3 and 7 into the bass line. Of course use fake chord sheet music like you did with the guitar.

Here are my old stand by charts:

Welcome to the bottom end. :bassist:

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Plenty examples of chord charts here: http://www.jazzstudies.us

6. Great site, needless to say, I bookmarked it.

Thanks.

7. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    Awesome! Thanks a bunch...peace!:bassist:

8. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Yes it is a great site.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  10. Thanks everyone!!!