Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

charvel bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilfretless, Feb 27, 2003.

1. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    a friend of mine just bought a charvel bass. I had never heard of it before, but it's got a great rock sound and a really nice neck. it has a p-style and a single coil, both made from reflex. they told him it should be around 10 years old, it looks great and they told us it is some way related to jackson. Can you tell me more about this bass?

2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    The very first geetar I bought was a Charvel CX-290, very nice strat style axe, at a good price.. and yep, it was made by Jackson (also had Jackson stamped on the pickups)
    -Mike

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Can you tell us more about the Charvel...is it bolt-on or neck through? Passive or Active? Etc.

I had a couple of late '80s Charvel/Jackson Model 3B basses, which were maple P Bass body, maple neck through construction with pointy headstock. Pickups were PJ with an on-board preamp with bass and treble controls. Other controls included volume and a pickup selector (like a Les Paul). Black hardware with kind of a Bad Ass style bridge.

I loved those basses...solid tone with great sustain...the pointy headstocks eventually turned me off though.

4. I own a newer Jackson concert series bass and it is a very nice sounding/playing bass. It is a passive with the j/j configuration and a bolt on maple neck. it is a really solid bass for the money, my only problem with it is the pots are a little scratchy. A little contact cleaner might fix that though.

5. GFOS

GFOS

Dec 27, 2002
    Athens, Alabama
    I still have a Charvel 3B sitting around collecting dust. This was the first "nice" bass I got. It is a very good sounding bass for the 80's metal stuff that I used to play, though. Very piano like tone. Deep metallic black cherry finish. A very cool bass in its day. You couldn't beat that pointy headstock in the 80's either.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If it's a "real" Charvel/Jackson, all your friend needs is the attitude, hair, make-up, and clothes to go with it -

[​IMG]

Jackson and Charvel were two former Schecter guys who teamed-up. Before they got into a deal where many of the instruments bearing their names were made in Japan & Korea, players were dumping their Fenders and Gibsons for Charvels & Jacksons or were modding those guitars with Charvel/Jackson components because they were flat-out "rock" machines, whereas Fender and Gibson were still trying to be "all things to all types of players."
    Charvel and Jackson said, "screw that" and used hotter pickups, "speed necks/frets", wild body styles, and wild paint jobs/graphics. You won't see a sunburst or figured maple Charvel/Jackson.

When Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen were seen playing their Jacksons & Charvels, those axes became ultimate rock machines. The big difference was - Charvels were bolt-ons and Jacksons were neck-throughs.

7. GFOS

GFOS

Dec 27, 2002
    Athens, Alabama
    My Charvel is neck through.

8. rickbass

Yours is probably not a "true" Charvel but a Charvel made in/after 1985 when they got into an agreement with IMC out of Texas.....and Charvels are now made exclusively by Chu Shin Gakki of Matsumodo, Japan.

Then again, the distinctions between Jackson and Charvel could be blurred. Before 1985, the nomenclature of Charvels indicated the neck type. Afterwords, it indicated where it was manufactured.

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm going to have nightmeres now...:eek:

10. rickbass

I think it's obvious that the bass player ate the most `ludes......he looks like he's at the Greyhound Bus station looking for "Mars" on the "Depatures" schedule.....gawd, we've come a long way!

11. GFOS

GFOS

Dec 27, 2002
    Athens, Alabama
    Yeah, I think mine is an '86 model. It is neck through, has Jackson pickups, and all Jackson hardware. No cool sharktooth inlay, though. It was made in east Asia somewhere.

12. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    this one looks a little different: it's got a bolt on neck and has a strange sunburst-like colojust with no black. big body, very nice rock sound.
    can you tell me any sites about this basses?