Charvel/Jackson 1B compared to similar era Fernandes/ESP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tompsy, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Buy

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Pass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tompsy

Tompsy

Dec 21, 2021
    Brooklyn, New York
    Hey, y'all! I have a thing for the late 80's and early 90's Japanese instruments. I think they are the last "bargain" to be had in the market and present incredible value for the money. I have an ESP-B1 that is remarkably well-built with a perfect finish and IMO custom-shop-like attention to detail. I have a Fernandes that is not quite as nice but still very good. How do the Charvel/Jackson Japanese basses of the 80's compare? I have an opportunity to get a super clean Charvel/Jackson 1B for under 300 but it's pretty far away. I don't want to show up and be disappointed. Does anyone have experience with these manufacturers/this genre of bass?

Riff Ranger likes this.
  2. I hear you on Japanese instruments from the ‘80s and ‘90s :thumbsup:

While not identical to what you’re considering, my first good bass was a Jackson Concert EX Professional from the early ‘90s (almost impossible to find now). I traded it years ago for my favorite guitar (‘80s Westone Prestige 150, also from Japan :laugh:) and I can’t say I regret it, but I’ll never forget that neck :woot: Jackson’s stock pickups from the period sounded pretty burly, too.

I say go for it because I’m an enabler and I love NBD posts.

3. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    The Jackson/charvel necks from that era are amazing. They will accommodate a super low action if that’s your thing.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  4. It’s not wildly active, but TalkBass does have a Charvel/Jackson club; you might ask there.