Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

charvel jp bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilfretless, May 17, 2003.

1. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    A friend of mine just bought a bass I had never heard of: it is a charvel jp bass, 4 strings, a single coil pick up and a p-style, very smooth neck, three knots, it's series number is: 384766. does anyone know anything about it?:bassist:

2. malicechild

malicechild

Aug 20, 2003
    annadale VA
    does your bass have active electronics
    and a neck through body

3. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    exactly:bassist:

4. Same here! Only mine is a 5 string with 4 knobs, and it has a serial number too. I wish I knew more about it, though.

5. Charvel sort of led the bass indusrty in "hair band music" overall they were as good or better then most fenders at the time, the body styles and the "pointy headstocks" were the fashionable bass for any good aqua-net bass player of the time.

For a P/J bass I still like them, they were made well and have a good rock tone.

Jackson Kramer and Ibanez were also in that market building very similar instruments,

Charvel later merged with Jackson, or was bought out by them.

Wayne Charvel started a new company awhile back called Wayne guitars. Still building good instruments.

search msn or other sites, there are a lot of charvel loyalists still around.

6. andybass54

andybass54

Jul 8, 2010
    I know this post was from 7 years ago but hey...

I have a Charvel JP Bass that I bought new in 1992 serial number 381002, made in Japan, so it pre-dates the one you describe.

Throughout the 90's I used any number of different basses but always found myself coming back to the Charvel. It is now my one and only bass so I use it all the time.

The JP is basically a Jazz bass without a scratch plate, with Jazz pickup at the bridge and a reversed P pickup at the neck. I found the original pickups lacked output so fitted EMG's about a year after I bought the bass, and these are great.

Mine is a bright sunburst finish with a few knocks but it still looks very nice indeed. The neck is very slim indeed but with a chunky rosewood fretboard and I've only ever had to make about 3 trussrod adjustments since I've had it so it's very stable. The frets are genuine jumbo and the neck width at the nut seems very much like a current USA P bass, the fingerboard radius is huge so it seems almost flat. All this makes it a doddle to play, with a very nice action (I currently use flatwound strings).

In short, if you see one for sale at a knockdown price, it's a terrific investment, very well made and easy to play.

7. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    no Andy you could not have a JP made by Charvel, it is called JX and I have one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JX for Charvel, JZB for Jackson branded..JPB for the "weird turnip bass" as I like to call it.

the JZB2 is the production model branded Jackson and came with a pickguard:
    [​IMG]
    . The JZB USA Jackson version did not have a pickguard, but was only available as a special order, and came as a j/j or h/h.

now if you DO have a Charvel marked JP on the headstock, please post a pic or 2...