1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Charvel Surfcaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Sound of the Police, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Has anyone owned or played one of these? If so, what do you think of them. I like the waay they look, and I saw someone playing one at a gig recently. It sounded pretty good, but he was using a lot of distortion, so it was hard to tell what it really sounded like.

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I did a search on this bass, apparantly they are quite rare. Jackson Guitars continued to make the Charvel Surfcaster guitar up until last year.

Jacksonguitars will make you a custom one if you have the £££ / $$$.

(Jackson now own charvel or something like that)

For those who don't know, they are shaped a bit like Fender jazzmasters.

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I remember checking one of these out when they were first introduced about 10 or 11 yrs ago. My thoughts on them were that the Surfcaster is a big instrument thatseemed heavy at the time. It has a satin finished wide neck, which turned me right off. And the retro look combining Rickenbacker 4005 body styling with Danelectro Lipstick pick-ups.
    I see these on Ebay going for between $400.00 - $500.00 including the OHSC.
    I never did buy one and I don't ever expect too. But that doesn't mean someone else won't!
    Just not my cup of tea.
    Cheers