1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chary of Class D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ACB0015, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ACB0015

ACB0015

Oct 27, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    Bass comrades: I'm currently using my Ashly BP41 plugged into the power amp input of an Eden WT330 Time Traveler. This works great but I would love to find a small Class AB power amplifier to pair it with. I used to use it with a QSC MX700 which I would love to find another specimen of. I daydream about a small mono-block power amp that could make 250 to 300 watts into an 8ohm load, something like just the power amp part of the Eden WT series with a toroidal transformer and AB topology. Anyone know of such a thing?
    The little Class D amps like the SWR AmpLite is a nice idea to have a small mono power amp but the sound is twee and doesn't hold up on a gig.
    Thoughts?

2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Well, what you're looking for would defy the laws of physics.

A small light class AB power amp with a toroidal transformer power supply that delivers 300 watts would be neither small nor light due to the required weight of the transformer to be able to supply at least 500 watts of power, and the size of the cooling device require to remove the excess 200 watts the AB topology at full output.

Your best bet would be an AB amp with an SMPS (Switched Mode Power Supply), as that can bring the weight down substantially.

However, there is no technical reason why a 300W class D amp would sound any differently from a 300W class AB amp, unless there is creative specmanship involved...

3. My solid state trace elliot has a torroidal transformer. It's in a metal box and a plywood sleeve, 30lb of 250W RMS into 4ohms, punches godknowswhat peak into 8 ohms. It would be a 500w amp by marketeer standards. 30lb isn't heavy if you ask me.

4. ACB0015

ACB0015

Oct 27, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    I don't care about it being light, just small -- especially front to back. That's why the MX700 was perfect for my purposes. I found a few things like what I'm describing but they are out of production -- Tech 21 had a Power Engine, etc. Something similar in size to my WT330 but just a power amp. I have nothing against Class D inherently, maybe a Peavey IPR 1600 would fit the bill, maybe its just those little bass heads I have found lacking.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Its not the class D that's your problem its how an amp designer has implemented it, it's the 'stuff' in the box besides the amp, its limiting, preamp, etc.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I have 2 poweramps in my PA rack now. One of them is a QSC MX700. No fun to drag around but man, what a great amp. The thing has been so reliable, I'm kinda scared to trade it out for somwthing else.

The other is a Crown XLS402. To me, that is light and convenient. It's a toroid transformer instead of iron block, weighs maybe 25lbs. instead of the 50 like the QSC, and it's much shallower front to back, doesn't need a deep rack. It's rated 200-some watts per channel @ 8ohms, so maybe 400-500 bridged. It's since been discontinued or changes to a newer model but there's all kinds of 2U poweramps out there at that power level that are 20-some lbs. and shallow front to back.

7. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Any good PA power amp will not color the sound you put into it, regardless of the topology. However, I commend you for your excellent use of the word chary, don't see it nearly often enough on this side of the pond.

8. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    At first I thought "chary" was a typo.
    Had to look it up. :bag:

9. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Yup, me too! I don't expect to see it again anytime soon...

10. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    And he said "twee."

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    The pro sound world is not remotely "chary" of class D, and a has in fact moved on to it en masse. (how's that? :D)

For regular PA power amps, how about a QSC PLX 1804? 2 rack spaces, but shallow, and like 1100 watts a side.

12. ACB0015

ACB0015

Oct 27, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    Thank you comrades, all good thoughts and suggestions. I remain chary of anything that sounds twee.

13. Yep... you certainly chopped his chary twee. :D

14. [​IMG]