1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chas Chandler?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hublocker, Jan 2, 2012.

1. hublocker

hublocker

May 17, 2007
    What kind of basses did Chas Chandler use in the Animals?

On Youtube it looks like he usually used a Gibson hollowbody 335 style.

2. Epiphone Rivoli I believe!

3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1.

4. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I think it was a Gibson EB-2. Nevertheless, the Gibson EB-2 and Epiphone Rivoli were similar. Just exactly how similar, I don't know since I'm not very familiar with the Rivoli.

5. Here's a couple of pics of The Great Man with an Epi..

4d8afa16-4018-4ca8-8b5e-ede8f9314562.

and possibly one with an EB2...

[​IMG]

6. hublocker

hublocker

May 17, 2007
    Look at some of those Animals videos. He could really play.

7. Met him a few times at Slade shows in the late 70's - lovely bloke.

8. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    My reference to Chas Chandler's Gibson EB-2 was taken from the book "Electric Gypsy" (about Hendrix of course.) In the section on recordings, it's noted that Noel Redding used Chas Chandler's Gibson EB-2 bass on all the songs on the "Are You Experienced" album up to mid-February 1967. I had vaguely remembered something about Chas Chandler and a Rivoli, but had assumed that he had used the Gibson with the Animals. If he only used the Rivoli, this is actually an interesting piece of info to know. I do know I've also seen some pics of Noel Redding with that Gibson EB-2. Of course, he didn't like it and bought the Fender Jazz as soon as he could--the bass he is known for, obviously.

9. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I've read somewhere that Chandler didn't think much of his bass playing. I think he really underestimated himself if that is so.

10. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    I think Chaz always got more out of being Hendrix manager then being in the Animals. but he was a very good bass player for sure.

11. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I definitely agree.

12. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    He had some simple but classic bass lines, as in "It's My Life" and "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place", that made the song.

13. OMG, he's using a pick!
    Hope this thread doesn't morph into a "Pick vs Finger" debate.
    All joking aside, many of his bass lines in the Animal's songs are signature and memorable. In fact a lot of the tunes are bass driven. Chas Chandler certainly influenced my playing.

14. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    We do a couple Animals songs every show.

15. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    He was quite a good bass player. I just heard It's My Life on the way home on the radio. Great playing!

16. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
  17. Really? Looks like the same guy. Same bass, anyway....

18. 4005

Jan 18, 2012
    he used both an Epiphone Rvoli & a Gibson EB-2 but you see more vids/pics w/ the Epiphone, I had a Rivoli just like his in the two color pics up top
    Cheers