Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chasers - Do they prevent a hangover?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Has anyone ever tried Chasers? They are supposed to reduce the severity of a hangover.

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    What's in it? I remeber looking at a hangover pill from about 10 years ago; the contents listed on the package were acetaminophen (sp), caffeine, and ascorbic acid. Directions said to take with a large glass of water.

That's basically water, Tylenol, Orange Juice and coffee.

You're better off drinking a glass of water with some Tylenol before you stagger off to bed.

3. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    They won't reduce a hangover.

Chasers are for removing the taste of whatever you just shot down. I do not use them. If you don't like the taste of whatever you are drinking, DON'T DRINK IT!

Then again, you're talking to the guy who drinks whiskey, scotch and vodka neat (that means just teh liquid in a glass. No ice. No nothing else).

There are two ways to help a hangover.
    1. Proven effective: DON'T DRINK SO MUCH
    2. Drink a ton of water. This will help flush your body out. Your milage may vary. Most of the other solutions don't really work.

4. I believe he was talking about the pill Chaser, that you take with your first drink.

Here is a little blurb from the site (http://www.doublechaser.com/):

I don't know if it works because I have never tried it before, but if I do recall, either Bob or Tom from Bob & Tom (morning radio show) tried it and said it worked...but I don't know if it's true either since they have a Chaser advertisement at almost every break.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think he was talking about these: www.chaserplus.com

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Correct.

7. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Do NOT take tylenol for a hangover or while using alcohol!!!

It will absolutely DESTROY your liver. Take aspirin or ibuprofin instead.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You have to get water into you so your brain dosent dry out and start to hurt.

9. Drink some more.

10. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    It's true.

11. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    +2

12. A friend of mine is an ER doctor in TX. He's a partying fruitcake! He's told me that on several occassions after a LONG night of drinking he's actually given himself hydrating IV's, and claim it works very very well.

One part of me says that's extreme and just tone down the consumption. The other half (the alcoholic half) says, get ME the necessary goods to do the same!!! haha :D

13. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I drink a glass of water for every beer/drink/whatever and that's eliminated hangovers for me.

Tylenol (acetominophen) and ibuprofen should not be taken as both will do liver damage. Aspirin will damage your stomach lining if used with alcohol.

14. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    2 liters of saline iv, O2, B12 shot....back in the mix.

Mike

15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    nugs and water people, nugs and water.

16. Nugs? Teehee;)

17. Here's one you all missed: Drink clear liquor. Seriously. It's true. The science goes something like this - the 'color' of the liquor is a chemical reaction between the alcohol and the wood barrels that the liquor is aged and that 'color' is a major contributor to the morning after headache. Saw it on "Good Eats" with Alton Brown on the Food Network. Must be true.

NOW YOU KNOW AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE GI JOE

18. I thought the headache was because your body is going through a mini alcohol withdrawl so that if you drink a beer in the morning after it should help.

19. You wanna know what causes a hangover? Look no further then www.howstuffworks.com<--It's the greatest website EVER (next to TB of course).
    This part I found especially interesting:
    "When alcohol is consumed, it enters the bloodstream and causes the pituitary gland in the brain to block the creation of vasopressin. Without this chemical, the kidneys send water directly to the bladder instead of reabsorbing it into the body. This is why drinkers have to make frequent trips to the bathroom after urinating for the first time after drinking."
    I've heard the term "Once you break the dam, the river flows free." I knew it was true, but now I know why

Here's the full story on what causes a hangover.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/hangover1.htm

It's a bit long, but very interesting. Skim around that site for anything else too, it's got pretty much everything in there.