1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chasing Tim Bogert Tones

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ezra1, Jan 18, 2021.

1. What Fuzz Box would best approximate his P Bass sound for Fudge, Cactus and BBA ?
    Vintage or Modern boxes ?

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I would think a tube screamer type overdrive like a soul food would get you there
    Something that simulates an overdriven vintage amp

DJ Bebop likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    yeah I was going to guess "no fuzz, that's an old heavy tube amp workin' hard" kinda sound. Get yourself an SVT and a Fridge maybe? Not sure what he used.

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

IIRC he was known to play through Sunn colosseums

DJ Bebop and bholder like this.
  5. In the 60s and at least until 1970 when I saw him, Tim used a bank of Dual Showman’s, slaved together, as well as a similar sized Traynor included in his stack. There have been other threads here concerning his gear.

DJ Bebop, bobyoung53 and bholder like this.
  6. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Back when he was with Vanilla Fudge and even Cactus I'd say he used a fuzz. I have a few live Fudge recordings and in his solos you can hear him stomp on a fuzz. I don't remember what he used in Cactus but in BBA I remember they all had these Univox cabs. OIP.jpg
    OIP.vFWQMKR-kz_tUiI0dlLbOAHaHa?w=178&h=180&c=7&o=5&pid=1.jpg

7. I hate to say it but I just read something about what kind of a fuzz he used but forgot it. if I run across it again I'll post it. An SVT gets way too loud to get that distorted unless you are on a big stage and even then they're loud. He did use Sunn solid state Coliseum heads though after his Fenders but I'm pretty sure he used a fuzz box on most if his stuff as someone else mentioned you can hear him stomp on it. For example in Vanilla Fudge Break Song you can hear him turn it on, this was recorded live in 1969 or maybe even earlier.

DJ Bebop and rockinrayduke like this.

8. I read that he was using Acoustic 360/361's in Cactus.....a lot of them.

DJ Bebop and jerry like this.

9. Vintage and use a Fender P with flatwounds. Here's an old thread on it but I don't think anyone came up with it conclusively.

Searching for a Tim Bogert Fuzz/Overdrive

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Karli, HaphAsSard and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. Another thread here on the same topic suggested a mosrite or a
    Univox.
    Wikipedia says Vanilla Fudge broke up in March, 1970, so my recollection of seeing them in 1970 should be corrected to 1969.
    Still strongly recollect the Dual Showman stacks as I was 20 feet in front of them and couldn’t hear afterward for two days.
    Btw, I also remember Tim playing a sunburst P bass that night rather than his regular modified P bass. Anyone confirm that he had a sunburst as well?

DJ Bebop and bobyoung53 like this.

11. My first good amp was a Dual Showman I bought used in 1970, blackface 1967. I still have one of the heads.

DJ Bebop and Bad Bob like this.
  12. I live in Detroit and I am friends with Jim McCarty he told me that Tim recorded the first Cactus album using an Ampeg B18 cranked. I know that is not the answer you are looking for. I would try a Fulltone bass driver something that isnt total saturation that you can control. Also Jim told that they always rented equipment and it was a disappointment because they felt it didnt work out sound wise a good portion of the time. To them tone was everything and they were often let down.

13. That appears that be a Sunn Colosseum atop the Univox cabs behind Jeff Beck.

DJ Bebop and bobyoung53 like this.
  14. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
  15. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If there is anybody that is a expert on Tim Bogert it would be Pete Bremy, he took Tim's place in both Vanilla Fudge and Cactus when Tim could no longer tour. Bremy is a smokin' bassist and knows a lot about Bogert style/equipment etc. Check him out on facebook.

eddiebo, ezra1 and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. The early black and silver Sunn Colosseum and concert bass heads had a really usable distortion circuit that they discontinued in the 2nd generation heads

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. John Childs

John Childs

Oct 10, 2018
    Looks like there's a Colosseum in his pants!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  18. Like everybody else who’s got a signature sound, Tim Bogert sounded just like himself, whatever the gear was that he played through. No big time artist locks into just one rig as the only to get “his tone.” I saw him with Vanilla Fudge, I saw him with Cactus (owww!) and I saw him in L.A. sorta jamming with friends in a rehearsal warehouse and his rig was completely different each time. Still he had that Bogert ripsaw sound. Dime the drive and twiddle the tone knobs (as we called them back then).

19. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Those sounds come from all-tube amps cranked. They are overdriven pretty hard. Could be a number of them. Old Sunn Coliseum amps, Marshall certainly. Don't think I've ever seen a shot of him with an SVT but I'd imagine that would work too. Key to it is getting all the tubes to be saturated and overdriven. I think (could be wrong) that a lot of that sound is from the power tubes (6L6, KT88, etc) being overdriven. Lots of overdriven distortion as opposed to "dirty" artificial distortion.

oldskoolskatedad likes this.
  20. I have a Heritage SVT with the fridge cabinet. And a DarkGlass Vintage Ultra overdrive
    To my ear I hear a fuzz pushing the mids with Bogert.

Karli likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021