1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chasing Tim Bogert Tones

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ezra1, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I’m a subscriber to the theory above that players get the tone they get if the equipment is even close to adequate.

Last year when EVH passed, there were several anecdotal accounts of EVH picking up any guitar connected to any amp and sounding like EVH. There were also several accounts of other players picking up EVH’s guitar plugged into his amp rig, but not sounding anything like EVH.

I’m not a dedicated Bogert follower, but I’ve heard enough of his playing to suspect he was one of those players that sounded like himself on almost anything he played. I’m sure he had his preference for getting a specific fuzz buzz when the gear was available, but made his tone by hand when the specific tools were not available.

DJ Bebop, bobyoung53 and gungrog like this.
  2. I did and he was very gracious with his info.

bobyoung53 and jerry like this.
  3. I believe getting tube saturation out of a Sunn Coliseum would be difficult as they were solid-state amps.

4. I think his tone comes from diaphragm support

Screenshot_20210119-032608~2.png

;)

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Satriani playing through a cheap chinese strat sums this hypothesis up perfectly.

DJ Bebop, bobyoung53 and HaphAsSard like this.

6. What did he say?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Sorry @DJ Bebop ! I have my models mixed up. They were the Sunn amps with the tall heads and the 2x15 cabs that I used to see in concerts at San Jose State University back in '68 and '69. They would often be playing with two of them side by side. I always thought those were Coliseums. They were definitely tube amps they were using. They had the silver flecked fabric grill covers on front for both the cabs and the head. Do you know what they were?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. That sounds like a Sunn 2000S. Common in that time period. However, when I saw VF in 1969, Tim was using his bank of Dual Showman’s, arranged horizontally, two rows, four altogether. Heads on the floor, slaved together.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Rip Van Dan, bobyoung53 and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. Probably Sunn 2000s
    sunnrig.jpg

D.M.N., Rip Van Dan and bobyoung53 like this.

10. I had one of those with two cabs with JBL-D140's when I was a kid, I also had a Marshall Major 200 watt tube head which I used with the cabs, it used to earthquake every place we played. You could feel the air hitting you in the stomach out in front, used to shake drinks, earthquake city. One place we played steady used to call us The Big Wind, haha! The Marshall ws a lot louder than the Sunn head so of course I used the Marshall:laugh:.

This is from the web, but you get the idea.

af9m8meqoz02cgcmahnv.jpg

ajkula66 and DJ Bebop like this.
  11. Then there's the 200S bottoms...
    1463605776077.jpg

Rip Van Dan, Bad Bob and bobyoung53 like this.

12. I saw Mountain twice three piece and he had all that stuff.

Rip Van Dan, Bad Bob and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. Exactly! After I saw Mountain, I bought a 200S too! Nothing like the bass thunder in “Theme From an Imaginary Western”.

Rip Van Dan, bobyoung53 and DJ Bebop like this.
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  15. Not only did he play in Cactus and Vanilla Fudge he was Tim's tech .
    He said Tim used a Dallas Arbiter in Vanilla Fudge and in recent years a Boss DS-1.
    No info on Tim's pedal in Cactus and BBA.
    He had heard the rumors of the Mosrite FuzzRite but they never had that conversation.

16. Thanks.

17. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    There you GO! That's what I used to see all the time in the late 60's early 70's until the acoustic 360/361 pushed them off stages. They always sounded like they were being driven hard, but it always sounded good!
    Thanks @DJ Bebop!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  18. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

As far as Vanilla Fudge is concerned, he used a wall of Fender Showmans(guitarist Vince Martell was the Marshall guy). They’re keeping the gear under control for this live TV shot, but Martell has a half stack and in the back, extreme right, you’ll see Tim’s Fender rig(nice man dress, Tim)...

In full blown concert...
    833C2C9B-DA19-4FDB-8726-03FE80E93A31.jpeg DE35BCD1-A32D-4528-9421-D66C60D5AC08.jpeg
    ...in that second pic, at his feet, is clearly a
    box, most likely a Mosrite Fuzzrite. In terms of his ‘distorted’ sound, what else could it be? No pushed amp sounds like that, it sounds completely different. Sure, there’s a bit of grit on the first two albums, but he went fuzz crazy on Near The Beginning...“Shotgun”, “Some Velvet Morning”, “Break Song”; aside from some one-offs, the only other bass player in that time period that consistantly explored fuzz was Soft Machine’s Hugh Hopper. Otherwise, amp wise, he apparently checked out Acoustic...
    6797162D-D2B1-4ABF-8036-A0E034D5FB6A.jpeg
    ...but with Cactus, there’s paltry photographic evidence; it was mentioned that he used an Ampeg B-18 in the studio, and in the cover photo of the live album, behind Carmen, there is what could be some SVT or V-4 cabs(grainy photo, unfortunately); it would make sense that they were hooked up with Ampeg at the time, guitarist McCarty certainly put the Scrambler octave fuzz through its paces, but on “Oleo”, that’s some more over the top fuzz box, you can hear it being kicked in, in the middle of the solo. BBA? Who knows what was used in the studio; his sound was pushed over all, but not clipped square wave buzzy. Live, however...Sunn Coluseums were solid state, and as an owner of two of the Bass models, I can tell you there is no overdrive circuit, just volume, and four bands of EQ and boost. Perhaps the Univox 4x12’s just couldn’t handle it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    ajkula66, bobyoung53, Karli and 4 others like this.
  19. You can't get that sound out of overdriven speakers, he had to have used some kind of distortion device. Entwistle used to use Coliseums didn't he? He got a pretty dirty sound.

20. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    So, listening to the Hangin' & Bangin' tribute to Tim today, they're listening to Oleo, and I believe it's Carmine that, as the fuzz kicks in, says "Yeah, that's the Ampeg Scrambler". So at least that question seems to be answered!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021