1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chasing Tim Bogert Tones

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ezra1, Jan 18, 2021.

1. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Excellent episode! He mentions the Scrambler twice.

bobyoung53, Karli and D.M.N. like this.
  2. Karli

Karli

Jul 21, 2017
    Bielefeld, Germany
    We came up with some ideas in that old thread though ;) ...

Cheers
    KARLI

bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Entwistle’s sound seemed to clean up by the time he started using the Sunn Coliseums, sometime in mid-‘71. Any dirt you may hear beforehand(on albums)was a wide variety of tube amps, Vox, Marshall, Sound City, Hiwatt. Live, it was any of that plus occasional US Vox transistor Super Beatles, and for a brief spell on tour in the US, Sunn tube 200s rigs with JBL 15’s circa ‘67/‘68. His signature grindy sound, as captured on Live At Leeds and IOW, was from the Hiwatts. Timeline wise, as Who’s Next was recorded in late spring ‘71, I would bet those are the solid state Sunns; the twang is dialed back, there’s less grit. By spring ‘71 his stage gear was transitioning anyway...
    0317C1C9-0ED0-4C8A-8973-178BB3A36C1D.jpeg
    John Entwistle Gear: 1971-1974 | John Entwistle Bass Gear | Whotabs

Once again, as I am well aquainted with Coliseum heads(let’s take a little trip out to my garage)...
    C0D5982C-A397-4155-AE54-33CE14130E6C.jpeg
    ...I can tell you that they just don’t manufacture that kind of break-up on their own; the speakers would have to be hurting. Now, there was a slightly later Coliseum 880 head with an overdrive/compression circuit, but he didn’t pick up on one until 1972, and the OD is awful, not even close to a decent dirt, let alone a cool fuzz tone. So.....what does that have to do with Bogert’s sound? Before BBA, an actual fuzz is so obvious on “Shotgun” and “Oleo”, but I’ve not been able to find any verifiable info on what was used on the lone studio album. What I hear on “Livin’ Alone” is some kind of nice grit, but at 1:50, on that solo bit, there’s some nasty fuzz kicked in...

On the Japanese live import album, it’s Bruce-ish goose farts all the way through the song with no pronounced change at that solo break...

...which leads me to believe that the speakers were really breaking up, and that he had ditched the fuzz anyway. I don’t know what OEM drivers were used in those Univox cabs, but they couldn’t have been the highest quality. I realize it’s all subtle, but that’s what I hear.

ajkula66 and Karli like this.

4. I know a lot of people say that a sound like that can come from overdriven speakers but I've been in some very loud bands in my time and have really pushed speakers and speakers when pushed beyond their excursion limits sound like crap on the occasional loud burst but clean up instantaneously when you back off and the sound is mechanical scraping sound. I've blown more than one speaker in my life (usually early SVT speakers) and once the voice coil starts rubbing they go quickly. The sound he'e getting here which i like by the way has to be an overdriven amp at least in my humble opinion. I have never heard even a semi musical tone out of a cab in which the speakers were being over driven. I think Bogert's tone here is great, it makes me suspect it's a SS fuzz box though because they used to always chop off the bottom and he doesn't have much here although he didn't have much in BB&A anway. Could that sound have come from a really pushed Coliseum head? Nice Sunns by the way, I used to drool over those things when i was a kid.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Karli likes this.
  5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I missed this album when it came out and and Lesfunk of talkbass hipped me to it, great stuff:

Karli likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021