1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chauvet Obey10-Not very intuitive!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Stinsok, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    New to lighting, new to DMX. I now own 4 Chauvet colorpalettes and an Obey 10. I watched every video I could find on both items, and scoured for anything I could read as well.
    It took me quite a while to get to a place where I could use these with some success! Is my combination of equipment odd, or is DMX stuff just tough to master?

2. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    It takes a while to wrap your head around programming DMX

To complicate things your colorpalets have several modes (27 ch, 9ch and RGB or 4 ch if I remember)

So to use 27 ch mode:
    Fixture 1 on obey controls
    Ch 1-16 and fixture 2 has to be used to access ch 17-27. (You will use all but 20 ch of the 128 to run your 4 lights In 27 ch mode)

The obey 10 would be simpler to operate, understand, and program if all DMX lights where 16 channels.

3. I feel your pain. I just bought a Obey 70 and have yet to really dig in. I thought I had a couple scenes saved (I have a lot of movers, strobes and lasers), but when I set up a show for a DJ gig I was doing, nada. Nothing. I ended up going stand alone audio mode. But like anything it's just a matter of practicing with it. Which means setting up, moving some faders and of course, RTFM. I liken DMX to MIDI. Although two completely different protocols, DMX could be thought of as MIDI note and velocity. Multiple universes could be thought of as MIDI channels. Sorry! That probably just confused you more!