1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap 12 string guitar? (I know this is a bass forum and I have purely bass intentions. Of course)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ahzidal Engineer, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Ahzidal Engineer

Ahzidal Engineer

Jan 6, 2015
    I want to buy a 12 string guitar and tune it from B to C so I can basically play it like a piccolo bass. I could care less as to whether or not people think that's stupid, it's just what I want to do. I also could really care less about the brand or condition of the guitar, as long as its playable and cheap. I was looking into Rogue Herringbones but it looks like those were discontinued a while ago. Does anybody know of any cheap brands that I could buy from, or better yet, does anyone have a crappy (but playable) old beater twelve string that they want to dump off for $60? $60 is the price I'm looking for, but I'll go up to $80 if I have to. I know this is probably ridiculous, but hey, I figure there's no harm in asking. Anybody got any ideas?

2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    (I don't own one and, even if I did and could part with it, chances are I don't live near enough for this to make sense.)
    Are you planning to string it double-course, or do you want a 12-string because they have a wider nut (assuming they do)?

(I'm gonna go ahead and examine the latter case:
    -there are 6-stringers with a 48mm nut so a 12-string wouldn't be necessary;
    -a classical with a truss rod (not a commonly found feature but they're out there) might also be an idea - 52mm nut;
    -either way you might have to relocate the bridge for proper intonation of the lowest string, which may get messy. An archtop with a movable bridge would be better, but OTOH the neck on those might be too narrow.)

I'd scour the local classifieds - there should be some good bargains there (guitarists who got twelvers for completeness' sake and ended up barely touching them).
    To conclude, and generally speaking: where there's a will there's a way, I approve of your lateral approach, good luck, free bump.

Ahzidal Engineer likes this.
  3. Ahzidal Engineer

Ahzidal Engineer

Jan 6, 2015
    The reason I want a 12 is because I'm in love with the way they sound. I was thinking about the tuning today and it might not work the way I want it to, but I'd manage to figure something out. Either way, I'd have a 12 string, regardless of how cheap, which is what I want.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    12 string guitar it's in PA but the price is right. Since you have omitted/blocked all information about yourself it's kinda hard to provide any real help.

5. Ahzidal Engineer

Ahzidal Engineer

Jan 6, 2015
    That looks nice, but it's $140 more than I'm willing to pay for it, so I suppose it's out of the running. Thanks though.

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    CRAP! I read the headline. $1 is pretty reasonable.

7. Ahzidal Engineer

Ahzidal Engineer

Jan 6, 2015
    hahahahaha yeah, when I first saw that I was like dang, that's a deal, and then I saw the $200.... :'(