Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap 4 Ohm Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SundanceChile, Sep 15, 2005.

1. alright i've just got myself into a gigging situtation here and am looking for a cheap efficent 4 ohm cab. i've recently purchased a SWR Workingman's 4004 which puts out 400, but only into a 4 ohm cabinet. i'm currently up against my guitar buddy with his 100 watt half stack, and need to close the gap between our sound. any ideas for something that can handle the power and that runs at 4 ohms?

2. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    how cheap?

anyway- if you've already got an 8 ohm cab... and want to push more air, have you thought about running two cabs?

but, if you're hell bent on cheap and a single 4ohmer- check out the steelsound 2x12 that got reviewed on here not too long ago... the endoresement wasn't "glowing" but was pretty damn solid for the 150 or whatever it costs with shipping.

3. yes that would be me, :D . i could splurge about 3-400 bucks, thats what we're looking at here.

4. i looked into the avatars, wow thats like starving musican prices right there. thanks for the help, i'm looking to get a B212. :bassist:

5. I love the Avatar's cabs....but check out this thread on the "other" budget 2x12 out there:

Steelsound 2x12 thread

Pretty solid cab for 1/2 the price. Of course, I own an Avatar and a Steelsound - and will eventually own a Dr. Bass 2260 - so good suggestions all.

Jay

6. http://www.drbasscabs.com/

The Rx 212 shipped to the West Coast is $378. It gets a little better reviews here on TB than the Avatars and it is covered with the same stuff they use for truck bed liners. If you have a cat, like I do, they won't tear up the carpet and they won't hold smoke or beer smells.

7. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

My JBL 18 inch 2241G scoop cabinet is up for grabs.
    Small earthquakes and other siesmic disturbances are possible.
    I just have not posted it in the for sale section yet.
    PM me and i'll tell ya all about it.

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    well, you could get my aguilar 4ohm 410 for 400. I'm in Oakland so we could meet in person.

Marshall

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

That is your new cab!!! Get this while you can!

10. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Damn, 4ohm 410 aguilar for $400. That's a great deal, especially if you don't have to pay shipping.

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    A BIG +1 on SteelSound 212...I just got mine yesterday...took it to choir practice last night w/ my Seismic Audio 210 and GrooveBass 1200.......whoooo boy!!!! can't wait til I gig with it and can turn it up!!! :D

The 212 was $180 to my door...sounds great, looks good, and the construction seems to be solid (lots of internal bracing, birch, etc.) The only knock (so far) is the plastic grab handles and jack plate, and no Speak-on connectors :confused: ....but hey, That's a cheap fix if I really need them.

If you like Avatar, these are DEFINITELY worth a look!!! :hyper: :hyper:

They've changed their name to Music Supply Center and here's the link.

www.musicsupplycenter.com

12. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

the 18JBL scoop goes for $250.00...BTW
    plus whatever shipping is from the east coast

13. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    +1 on this deal. used is the way to go. this will sound 5 times better then any new cheaper cab.

14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +2 on the used Aguilar cab. Avatar cabs are not very efficient. They can handle a lot of power, but don't use it very well.

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's an INCREDIBLE price on a used Aguilar 410 . . . GS series, I presume . . .