Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap 4-string beater bass with a neck similar to MM Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 127.0.0.1, Feb 20, 2006.

1. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    Is there any cheap 4-string beater bass with a neck similar to MM Sterling? I sometimes wish I didn't bring my Sterling to practice...:meh:

2. an olp musicman copy, very cheap and i hear they are decent for the money

3. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    They feel more like a 'ray though...

4. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    If you're just looking for a beater...wouldn't an SX Jazz do? The Sterling is supposed to have a J bass feel to the neck. I don't know anything about the SX pickups. I've heard good and bad about them. The price is right that's for sure. You're not gonna get the sound of that Sterling no matter what you do though...not in a budget bass.

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    The sterling neck is basically a jazz-esque neck with a special satin finish on the neck, easy to replicate if you know how to refinish.

6. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    Yeah, I'm not looking to get that sound when practicing. All I need is the feel.

SX Jazz huh? May be a good idea.

7. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    if you want the feel on that neck though... you are going to have to strip the finish off the neck and use a gunstock oil type of finish.

8. MR.ATK

MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    i think he's referring to the size of the neck? small hand syndrome too? :cool:

9. er...SUB sterling maybe? $700, i wouldnt call that cheap.

other than that, +1 on the SX jazz and refinishing the neck idea

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    SX Jazz is pretty good.

Heck, you don't even need to refinish IMO, I was happy with just sanding it down.

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Gunstock? I thought it was Tung Oil?:confused:

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not sure about the Sterlings, but I know the Stingrays are Tung Oil...

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its a combination of the two.

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    My Sterling neck is unfinished.

As for a beater Sterling, picked up one used for cheap or a used SUB when they start floating around.

15. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Those don't exist because they're not a cheap bass...I'm assuming he's looking for under $200 here.

16. how about this one?

[​IMG]

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    no it isnt, thats how they all are. Its a gunstock finish. Feels nakie, but its not. I dont see why yours would be different unless the original was removed.

18. rebelbass

rebelbass

Feb 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have an olp;have personally seen 4 guys who own music mans mistake olp's for real deal! guy commented on how mine played better than his..his 1,200$$+100$$ setup mine 199.00$ out of the box! guess I got a good one. Pots are cheep chineese linear taper..not audio taper. 3 pots @ 2$ each to replace. Tuners not as nice,finish not perfect but it's a grand cheeper plays/sounds great.Guitar center has them for @250,musicians friend sometimes @200$.

19. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    No offense but if Music Man owners are mistaking OLP's for real Rays they're either on drugs or just didn't get a close look. I own 3 real Rays and I have NEVER mistaken an OLP for a Ray. I did play an OLP once and thought it played very well for a budget instrument.

20. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    One can wish that Kurt gets those in stock within the next year.

I guess I kinda gave up on waiting...