Cheap 4x10s? Madison, Avatar, Speakerhole: any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pork Soda, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Pork Soda

Pork Soda

Oct 4, 2001
    Does anyone know anything about these brands? The websites are and
    Speakerhole sells their 4x10 cab for $169.00 and Madisons for $219.00. I havn't heard anything about these brands, but they are really cheap.
    Avatar sells theirs direct for $249.00 with $39.00 shipping, but they are often on ebay for less. The Avatar gets pretty good reviews on harmony central as well as really good feedback on ebay.

I usually don't rely on specs, but here they are:

Madison Mab4102
    "3/4" void free plywood construction.Awesome sounding cabinet! Plays all the lows you could ever desire plus she has a crisp mid tone. We have yet to not have a bass player FREAK! when they plug into one of our 10" bass cabinets. The cabinet is made especially for our woofer. The 20" x 1.5" slot vent across the bottom produces smooth bass response. We place caster pockets on all of our bass cabinet so that they all fit tight together when stacked.
    We are proud to add that we have yet to take a defective return or deal with an unhappy customer or dealer. Made for the PRO musician by PRO musicians.
    All metal hardware, 200lb casters, 16 gauge steel grill, dual 1/4" inputs, heavy duty gray or black carpet."
    RMS POWER 800
    PEAK POWER 1600
    OHM LOAD 8 ohm
    FREQ. RESPONSE 40 - 5000hz
    SIZE 25" wide x 28" tall x 15.75" deep
    DRIVERS Madison nwx1050
    VOICE COIL/S 2.5"
    MAGNET SIZE 50 oz.

"The B410 features a rugged 3/4 inch PLYWOOD cabinet and is loaded with four heavy duty American Made Eminence 10 inch Bass Speakers. The four 10's combined are rated at 600 WATTS RMS (1200 MAX. WATTS). Each 10 has a high temperature vented voice coil and a 34 oz magnet. It has tons of Punch! The Foster high frequency compression horn tweeter is the most popular tweeter used by some of the best companies in the bass cab business. The tweeter is filtered with a mylar capacitor crossover and has an adjustable volume control on the back input panel. The cabinet is covered in black carpet, has protective corners, large recessed steel bar handles, full face steel diamond pattern expanded metal grill, ports, steel input panel with dual Switchcraft 1/4 inch in/out jacks and is an 8 ohm system. Weight 75lbs, Dimensions 25H x 25W x 16.5D One year warranty and 14 day return policy."

Speakerhole BA410.1

"You will be suprised at the tone you get from this cabinet. There are many name brands that don't sound near as good, plus they cost 5 times more money. 800 watts rms and 1600 peak. It is loaded with four 10" drivers that each have a 50 oz. magnets and 2" voice coils. It is wired at 8 ohms mono, plays at 96db and from 40htz to 5000htz. It has metal corners, spring handles, steel grills, rubber feet and a jack plate that has speaker wire inputs as well as 2 1/4" jack inputs that will allow you to daisy chain another cabinet from it. It measures 28" tall x 28" wide x 13" deep. It will play a low b "

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Which one sounds most trustworthy? I'm not having any luck finding good used cabs in my area so now I'm looking at some of the cheaper, non-brand name stuff.
  2. I have actually heard OF all three, but have not HEARD any of them.

Personally, I have dealt with Avatar Speakers. I purchased two PA15 cabs from them, and they sound great. I chose them over the other two companies because they use plywood, not particle board or MDF.

Also, Avatar uses Eminence speakers. I do not know what type of speakers are used by Speakerhole or Madison.
  3. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    How do I order from Avatar? Can somebody give me a link to all the pages with their products and ordering and so on? Nothing shows up when I go to their site.
  4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i really dont wanna sound snobbish, but i think one reason that those speakers may be so cheap isnt only their lack of reputation, but the sensitivity ratings are a little low. meaning an extremely inefficient cabinet. basically youll hafta work your amp a heckuva lot harder to get the sound loud enough for a band situation. eminence speakers are a good thing, as long as their the right models. (my carvin cab has eminences in it, and they have no balls). just to compare... an eden D410XLT (even though i know its an entirely different league) is rated at 106 dB, and is quoted as haveing a +/- 3dB response from 50 to 13kHz. with these other speakers claiming simialar response curves... id say look at the SPL levels. the eden is 106 dB, and the others are listed at 96dB. im not really a speaker expert, so if i come off as one i apologize, but if im not mistaken (very possible) i know 20 dB is a LOT. as in 20 dB would be about 4 times the loudness. thats why their cheap.

if you want a much more informed opinion ask bgavin or joris. they blind me with speaker knowledge.