Cheap 6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NYBassMan, Oct 22, 2003.

1. NYBassMan

Oct 19, 2003
    East Meadow, NY
    Anybody know of a decent 6 string i can pick up while waiting for my Stammie. It has to be under 600 bucks. I've seen some but the string spacing is WAY TOO FRIGGIN SMALL!! Not that i have sausage fingers (lol) but i do a fair amount of slapping. Need at least 3/4 space. thanks for all your knowledge.

2. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Sorry man, but to tell you the truth I haven't even heard of a 6-string with 3/4 spacing that you can get for even under a thousand bucks. The only 6 string I have seen that truly had 3/4 spacing was a custom made Warwick Thumb Bolt-On with the Wide Neck option...and actually now that I think about it...I think it was a 5 string. Only basses that are 6 string that are decent in your price range that I can think of are a Dean or one of the Ibanez BTBs, but neither will have anything close to 3/4 spacing. I slap very precisely, and you must too if you slap on 6 strings. I slapped very well on an Ibanez EBD605 before upgrading to my Stingray 5. The Ibanez had even narrower spacing than the Stingray, so it made going to the Stingray a breeze (which is why my mind gets bogggled when people complain about the string spacing). You must be a precise slapper (like me), so I suggest not worrying much about 3/4 spacing. You should be able to adjust to narrower spacing without much difficulty. Sorry for being so long winded, just trying to help! Goodluck
  3. NYBassMan

Oct 19, 2003
    East Meadow, NY
    thanks hof...i am a pretty precise's more so the popping that will present an issue. i guess it'll just take some getting used to. thanks man.

ps hopefully not too long
  4. I'd say check out the Brice's on Ebay, I'm sure they're tighter then you'd like, but looks like more room then the Dean.

Or, check out this Mr.Potato bass.

The Mr.Potato website has it listed for $389.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A used Yamaha TRB will run under $1000. But not under $600. It has 3/4" spacing.

The Ibanez BTB406 is wider than most, 17mm IIRC.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Umm, Spector 6 strings have some of the narrowest string spacing around.
  7. korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    hey chump stain! do you know how that mr potato 6 string sounds?
  8. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Id say the Ibanez BTB 406, not enough credit is given to this bass, I really like it, its wide, not as wide as you would like though...
  9. Well man... here in Brazil we´ve got a great option for the ones with spacing problems for slapping: it´s called Tagima! as the dolars are well vallued in comparison to our money (the reals)think they´d be very acessible to you. They have good mid-hi´s for some loud sound;hope you got a good amp. Check out this site: , then look for the word ``baixos`` (the brazilian word for bass), and after look for ´´6 cordas´´ (6 strings). Hope you like it :)
  10. No. I'd really like to know more about this bass. I emailed Mr.Potato, and have not had a response. There is no place to buy on the website.
  11. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Just thought I'd add that the Bass Palace has a sweet looking Mr. Potato neck-through 6 string for sale...and it actually has been for sale for at least a year I believe, so I bet you could talk them down in price. They currently have it for $689...I bet you could maybe get it for $600 even. It looks mighty nice for the price, I'd probably pick it up if I was looking for a 6 string! Here's the link:

12. korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    yeah that mr potato sixer looks damn sweet! i just wonder how the neck is..(ie: too fat or comfy). too bad there's no one here who owns one. but judging from the picture, i think it has a fairly wide string spacing. maybe if i have the extra $$$, i'll try it out for my slapdaddy!! i just hope the sound will be up to it!!!
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Good suggestions, guys, but the Peavey TL-Six pretty much outclasses them all and can be had for less than $500.

14. ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
  15. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
  16. MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    Why is that bass so cheap? solid ash, neck-thru, 2 active pup's...

Any TB'er ever get one of these and review it? I dont know why but I just dont trust it. Guess il start searching. :D
  17. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Looks ok. But I really can't stand that 4+2 headstock though...
  18. Check out the Cort Curbow 6. Nice bass for not very much money.
  19. Dee-tuned

Oct 13, 2003
    Southern Va
    I saw a Carlo Robelli 6 at Sam Ashe last weekend, and it was decent. String spacing was definitely not 3/4, but it was about the same as most 6 strings I've played (limited-I prefer 4). I only diddled with it for 5-10 minutes, and it was okay. Best part-$450.

I still think you can find one on eBay for under $600. Just be sure to check the feedback, and read the description closely. Alot of people will put a stock picture and not the real thing. Just be careful.

Last, don't overlook the Ibanez. I have big fingers and I've always liked the spacing on them compared to the neck width.