Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap 9-string... and it's not by Wish!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pklima, Apr 28, 2005.

1. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well at least the description sounds honest when he mentions that the maple top didn't work out well and is bubbled, The shot of the back of the neck is kinda scarry, and from what I understand, there's a reason you don't hear of oak being used for instruments. It's not a very good tone wood. It doesn't look bad in the end, but I wouldn't touch it unless it was free.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If I got it, I would get a new nut and whatnot and tune it F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, and then whatever's after that up to the 9th string.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Looks.... "sticky"..

:meh:

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    +1

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    :D That's exactly what I said to a guy that forwarded that link to me :D :D

7. From the Ebay ad:

"The pickups are a Bartolini bass pickup and 2 Duncan Hot Rails."

Interesting.

8. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    my piece of tiger oak/maple/bubinga/rosewood seems to sound just fine. heard few other pieces of nice oak, and they seemed to sound equally fine.:D

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Hmmm, how much of your neck is actually oak (and I'm not familiar with "Tiger Oak" it may be a different variety than we are used to hearing about when oak is mentioned (Red, White, or Black Oak) that may make it suitable, but my bet is that it's probably not enough of a percentage of the neck volume to make a significant contribution to the sound (or it may be balancing out a dominant characteristic of some of the other woods used) and I'm by no means an expert on wood tones, but from the discussions on the Luthier's forum the general consensus was that it had very little resonance so it would muddle the tone and hinder sustain. Again, most of those discussions centered around oak being the primary (significant portion) of the instrument's neck, I'm sure that if done correctly with the right piece and in the right context it can be done. I doubt this instrument reached any of those goals.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't a bass with ash wings and an oak neck be neck heavy? :eek:

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I was kind of thinking the same thing when I read the description. Hmmm. :meh:

12. Hmmm, well, all lutherie issues aside - and that's a hard thing for me to do :D - it's got scam written on it already. One bidder and whaddya know, it's his first bid! What a dang coincidence. And a bid for a very questionable 5 bills.

13. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    what a ugly instrumment......oh well..and unplayable :p