Cheap accoustic bass recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Absentia, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Alright I have serious GAS for an acoustic bass, nothing fancy, fact the cheapest I can get, just something to drag around the house and the campfire.

Looking on musicians friend I see craptastic rogue, dean and few others but I have no experience with them and the GCs around me don't stock them.

Anyone have any suggestions on a cheapo acoustic bass preferably under 250$.

Rogue looks pretty but I'm unsure
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...4-AcousticElectric-Series-II-Bass-?sku=512223

any suggestions?

2. Ibanez AEB10 used.

I've owned counteless.. only under $250 bass I'd buy again.

Next step up in price point is a Michael Kelly Dragon Fly..

Both of them competed very well with my $2500+ basses once setup, plugged and plugged in.

T.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    The Dean playmate for $199.00 I played it one day while trying out about 5 different acoustics. It was as loud or louder than all of the basses that I played. You should buy the one you play. I have read that the quality control is not great. Also the electronics are not that great, but you were asking for a campfire bass and this would probably do it.

4. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    right but I doubt I'll be able to find one used anytime soon.
    450$ new is a little high.

hows the aeb5e in comparison?

5. Michael kellys acoustic has a really great sound and you can also adjust the neck depending on your play style. I own the bayou resonator myself and although I love the tone I probably would recommend the vanilla acoustic over the bayou.

6. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009

really something that has 4 strings and is loud enough to play with a djimbe and guitar, never plugged in and sit next to me on the couch for practice would do it.
    And not make me cry if someone trashed it.

7. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  8. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
  9. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
  10. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    View attachment 138552
    No pics- no bass.
    Here it is in action. At a livingroom jam.

Pat Traver's bass player gave me a set of Dean Markley "alchemy" strings when we did a concert with them. (gold roundwounds) really brought it to life!

This thing is almost as loud as a DB!:bassist:

(click on image for bigger)

11. I've got a rogue. It's a pretty nice acoustic bass,specially for the price. you'll need to set it up and put new strings(the usual).

12. +1

I own one and have for a year now. It's amazingly large. The cosmetics are great. Shiny black with a ribbon of white trim. Very solid neck. Mine is a 4 string fretless. The spruce top where the bridge glues on is bowing up a little I ground down the saddle to offfset the high action and that has helped. I actually like the electronics and built in tuner and piezo pickup. This got me back on the road to bass playing so it has a personal connex for me now. I run it with Roto 77 flats and love the sound acoustically. When I want to goose it for a little more sound, I just use a pick.

It is a campfire bass, but it sounds decent in an amp too. I toss it in the back seat when I go to the Cape for the weekend to keep my fingers challenged and remember how to play 4 string. (My other bass is a 'wick Corvette $$ 5)

If this top bubbles out and breaks or ruins reasonable action, I'll probably get another. I recommwah-end the fretless experience.:bassist:and it looks like a black version of the smiley's guitar!

13. These come up on eBay all the time. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260461833157&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT I like mine. You will need to use the little teardrop shaped sliver of plastic that comes with it. I think it's somewhat of a rip-off that it doesn't come with a hard shell case at this price, but what can you do? It may be a step up from a toy, but to drag around the house or use around the campfire, it should work just fine. If you don't like it, there's always the campfire....

They are also available in red, blue, or regular sunburst.

Jack

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    "An acoustic bass guitars discussion forum, OctaveBelow.com provides forum for discussion of topics related to acoustic bass guitars, such as makes/models, accessories, live/recording electronic equipment, and audio/videop samples. ..."

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021