1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cheap acoustic fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ByahBass, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ByahBass

ByahBass

Feb 18, 2009
    Montreal, Qc
    Hey, so i've been at this whole bass thing for a while now, and i'm falling in love with the fretless sound, so i want to get a cheap fretless acoustic to take to camp with me. I was thinking about getting a Dean, but i haven't heard great things about 'em.
    Any suggestions?
    thanks

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I hated my Dean. I sold it immediately.

3. ByahBass

ByahBass

Feb 18, 2009
    Montreal, Qc
    What should i get then?

4. I haven't played but a couple acoustic fretless' but I played a Micheal Kelly acoustic a while back that was really nice for an acoustic. it was around $500 though. so not as cheap as the deans. Never tried a dean acoustic but I recently bought a new Dean Edge 6 that is great now that I defretted it and replaced the pre-amp with a EMG BQC :bassist: I do recall seeing some cheaper acoustic fretless basses on the ebay by some brands "Starfire" and "Tennessee" usually going for under $300, I have no idea how good they would be though.

5. Ibanez AEB is the lowest cost quality bass ..

The non-love for Dean is from buzzy necks - these may be a candidate for de-fretting.

As far as I know the Michael Kelly is the lowest cost highest qualty AGB

6. Most ABGs can be drowned out by even a polite guitarist; I'm guessing rowdy crickets may have the same effect. :atoz: More on topic, Michael Kellys have a great rep; look for a used one.

7. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Harley Benton.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean has two models, the bottom budget "Playmate" and the mid-market "Performer". The "Performer" is IMO the best bass in its class. The "Playmate" is nothing special. I recommend the "Performer". The one Michael Kelley bass I've tried did not impress me.

9. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I got a Dean over the Michael Kelly after playing them both side by side.

I've got the Dean Fretless and it's pretty decent. A setup and new tapewound strings did a lot for it. Volume wise... well it's still an ABG. :)

10. Look for a Micheal Kelly Club series fretless,I own one and it's really nice for the money..The bronze strings that come on there are less than nice but ,you can experiment with different strings or you may like them..I did'nt, so I put on a set of acousticores(a little expensive).It's probably a little quieter but,I don't mind so much.the sound is much less "harsh",especially amplified.

11. kbraker510

kbraker510

Dec 8, 2008
    if possible you may find an old washburn ab 20? or 40? a friend of mine had one that was fretless... it was killa
    i think they go for about 4 or 5 bills though.

12. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I bought Michael Kelly Firefly used for 200 bucks, sounds and feels great.

13. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    get the dean

14. I defretted an AB-20, & it sounded great. No useable volume unplugged, though.

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I had a Michael Kelly fretless 5 string, I think it was the dragonfly model, really nice inlays and stuff. I strung it up with some black nylon flats and it sounded pretty good. I sold it about a year ago for like $350, so you can definitely find a used one for a good price.

16. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I had an Ibanez AEB, and it was respectable. But keep in mind....when plugged in, it feeds back easily. And when unplugged, it can barely be heard. IMO, not a good investment unless you are just using it for practice by yourself.