Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap acoustic fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    can someone help me find a fretless acoustic (new) online for under $300. i've searched for about an hour now and can't find nuttin! can't even find a carlo robelli or rogue without frets.

2. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    thanks - i don't like buying off of ebay though. that's why i said (new). you did help me a lot though cuz what inspired me to get one was seeing a guy tonight playing a "michael kelly" bass that he said he paid only 300 for. i couldn't remember that name for the life of me - so now at least i can serach for them. :)

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Joe, I was looking for the exact same thing earlier tonight, and came across the micheal kelley acoustic with the vine inlay.....

My bro has played one of their PRS guitar knockoffs and said it was killer.

I chickened out the the acoustic and bought a kingston fretless instead. :rolleyes:

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Oops. Sorry about that! :p But I am glad you were able to use something from my post. :)

5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    i'm gonna wind up bidding on the mike kelly one, so thanks again. i never bought anything off of ebay before so i'm having a friend take care of it for me. i'm too nuts for this stuff - don't wanna have to bid, and wait, and win, or lose - just wanna buy it dammitt!!!!!!

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Joe, the seller for those on ebay is a dealer, the past auctions have ended in the $270 range. You may save some time, trouble, and money to just email him directly about buying one without the hassles of the auction.

Make sure to post a review if you end up getting one, I am remotely interested as well.

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    well, it seems as though fate hath thrown gabu in my path to bring unto me this.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=2548644703

it's mine. a friend did the bidding for me. i'm incredibly excited as i haven't given into a gas attack in years, but i'm beating on myself a bit cuz at this point in time $306 is a small fortune to me. i'm strugglin with money just a bit but i go back to work in a month and things will settle into place again. I DESERVE THIS DAMMITT!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :D

thanks y'all!

8. :eek: Very nice bass! Congrats!

[​IMG]

9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    ....ohhhhhhh the waiting now....... this is torturous.... 3 to 5 business days, and a damn weekend falls right in the middle of it..... ohhhh, GAS pains...... need relief, need relief.....

how can ya speed up those UPS guys??? ya think if i call them and tell them i REALLY, REALLY want this they'll put a special rush on it to make me happy?

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That's always worked for me. They especially like it if you call them 5 to 6 times per day. It shows them that you care. ;)

11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    i'm gonna call them 7.

12. i was going to get one, but i wasnt sure, now i most likely am.

13. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    The bass came at around 1 o'clock this afternoon and i've been having a really rough time putting it down. i am so totally in love, and i can be really picky. i was actually kinda nervous that i wasn't going to like it.

they say on the ebay ads that they auction these basses because they have minor finish flaws. i had a really rough time finding any. there's a tiny paint bump on the underside of the neck, about the size of a pinhole. my hand doesn't even touch where it is, and if i didn't STUDY the bass looking for imperfections i'd have never even noticed it. i can see an ever so slight amount of glue on the underside of the heel of the neck too. could these be the imperfections they're talking about????? :eek: i think this basss is in better shape than any bass i ever bought.

the action is great, there's no buzzing, it's pretty loud for an acoustic (louder than a lot of the ones i've played in stores), and it's just plain fun to play! for $331 including shipping i really don't think these basses can be beat.

i am a very happy camper!

thanks again gabu for not carefully reading my original post!!!!!!!!!!! i owe ya one!

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    No prob man! :D

I am glad you dig the bass. :) My ABG is definately a player, so I know whatcha mean.