Cheap Active Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnmallory34, Jun 13, 2003.

1. johnmallory34

Jun 13, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm getting a new bass, and i would really like to get a good, new active one. I can't spend over 350 dollars, though. Do any of you have any suggestions about a nice, cheap, active bass i could get? Thanks.
  2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Have a look at Washburn.
    I had an ab10 a few years ago, it was great.
    Wish I hadn't got rid of it.
    Maybe secondhand might be a good route?
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    From what I've read, very cheap active basses have poor EQ/preamp sections. You're usually better off with a passive bass at the low end of the cost scale. Short of pickup blend buffering in the preamp there's nothing you can do with an active EQ on a bass that you shouldn't be able to do better with the EQ on your amp.

The new Dean Edge is active, I've tried it in stores, it doesn't sound as good as my older passive one.
  4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    The imported Peavey Grinds...
  5. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i was at SAM ASH MUSIC the other day and i was noodling around with some low end basses while waiting for a friend to complete his purchase,i came across a couple of Carlo Robelli basses that were pretty decent basses for the price tag.i asked the salesman why were they so cheap and he replied "we own that guitar company now and that cuts out the middle man". i found that to be pretty cool not having to pay the distributer or the company itself,which in turn allows them to sell the basses at a far lower cost giving the guitar to us at a wholesale price.alot of people dont like them for whatever reason but i played a few that were very nice basses for the price.on the other hand i played 1 or 2 that were a little "CHEESY":spit:. so look around you can always find a "diamond in the ruff" if you look hard enuff:D
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Why not a good used active one? I recently saw a MIM 5 string Jazz Deluxe at the MGR near Milwaukee for $325 (I believe). As for new ones, if you hit a GC list sale right, you never know what you'll end up with. Last October I bought a brand new MIM J5 Deluxe for $220 and a brand new Ibanez SR406 for $299. Both are wonderful!!!
  7. Without knowing what kind of music you're playing, or how many strings you want, it's a little difficult. However, the Kawai F2B can sometimes be found in that price range...I like mine, until I found the magical (for now) p-bass. Another option is to install a good preamp in the jazz bass that you already own. It would avoid the inexpensive bass = crappy preamp problem.

Good luck
  8. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
  9. I'd say save up for a better bass with active electronics, because at that price range, the active systems are usually the weak link.
  10. Peavey Fury !

very good bass. 3 band eq.. very cheap.
  11. Cort Curbow thingy. 1 Active Bart? yes please!:D

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Folks, John is looking for a 5 string...

How about a brand new Yamaha RBX765A for $319.95 (plus tax)?

Ash body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, gold hardware, 24 frets, two soapbar pickups, two band eq...etc.