1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap/affordable double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by josiah goldfish, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I'm new to the double bass (being an electric bassist) but I seriously want to play double bass. However I'm short on cash and can't find one under £360. Does anyone know of a cheaper one? Thanks for your help.

2. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    This community is in the process of creating a newbie guide for people just like you!

but let me give you the really quick answer.

360 pounds is probably not enough to buy an instrument that wont be completely horrible. The accepted "Starter" range for a new double bass, usually plywood, is 1500 dollars american.

You may find used ones cheaper, but steer clear from most of those sales on ebay. Other forum users would request you use the search function to look for previous threads, and i do too, but let me put this in perspective.

For the same price, you can have an american fender strat, or in the terms of relevance, a double bass that would be the equivalant in playability to the 80 dollar cheep korean knockoff of said strat. You know, those pawn shop guitars that are freaking terrible?

3. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    a) http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/ba...-please-read-before-posting-new-topics-43093/

2) Where are you located? Fill in your profile

III) 3 links from the right where it says "search" fill in "cheap bass" and press enter.

Good luck.

4. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    With all due respect, an $80 knockoff guitar is still a much better deal than most $600 double basses because most people can figure out well enough how to adjust them to playability. Clearly, getting a cheap db playable and keeping it from imploding quickly can cost much more than the bass itself.

5. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Your budget, expressed in British exchange, hints that you are probably from UK. Yes, there is a double bass which fits whithin your budget. It is the Thomann 111 BR, a Chinese double bass offered by the wellknown European Thomann megastore. It is a laminated instrument with an ebony fingerboard, a decent bridge and a aluminum tailpiece (to be discarded). The bass is well constructed and the resonant laminate gives an excellent pizzicatto sound. The Thomann store offers an elementary set up, so be prepared to spend some quids in order to achieve the optimum sound level. The strings are made with a steel core and probably Chinese, decent for pizzicatto but not so good for arco work. It costs 370 pounds (including p&p). I laid my hands to six or seven of them, i performed a thorough set up to four of them and all of them showed the same quality. When your chops will be improved and you will upgrade you will have it as a back up bass for gigs in a non so controlled environment.
    Mike

6. Violen

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    If Mikman says it. its Good. He has a great command over european Upright Bass Markets :)

7. crowsmengegus

crowsmengegus Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Northfield, MN
    Hey MIKMAN, would you mind adding some info on brands/prices for the euro market to the newbie guide?

8. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Thanks mates for your praise, i'm not sure if i actually deserve it. As for the newbies i'm still working my contribution to this specific thread and i'll post it ASAP.

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Yes, you deserve it! :)

10. Thank! I've looked at those, do you know if the gear4music ones are any good?

11. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Alas, i do not know them. I'll try to gather some infos and i'll let you know my findings.

12. Violen

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Not far from me in Brighton!

I think as people have been hinting - you are far better off saving up for something worth playing. I have seen people put off by instruments that are hindering their progress.

The question is also what you want it for - Orchestral/Jazz?

My personal view is that nothing I tried under £1,000 was what I would consider "playable" and £1500 - £2,000 is much more likely to get you a decent bass.

This may not be what you want to hear - but then life's not fair and you just have to put up with it! :p

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

15. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    There's quite a bit of relevant info in these 2 threads:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/basses-uk-572125/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/inexpensive-basses-u-k-171375/

I've still yet to come across anything available in the UK that rivals the Stentors in the bottom end of the market (although I sold mine 2 or 3 years ago).

Worth bearing in mind that a very cheap bass will almost certainly come with crap strings and in need of a set-up, so you'll need another £200 or so minimum on top of your budget

16. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I started with a very cheap laminated bass with crap strings and a fingerboard made of I don't know what. It cost £45 brand new, but that was in 1960. Because I didn't know any better and had nothing to compare the bass with I had enormous fun with it, did lots of gigs and eventually played with some famous names (I wonder if they realised). So my advice is that a crap bass is better than no bass if your budget could kill your aspirations.

SLJ likes this.
  17. I want it more for jazz style, probably played pizzicato. Thanks for your help!

18. Thanks! I hope they cost £45 nowadays :) I think I'll try and get a recommended cheaper one and upgrade it with better parts as I get more money :D