Cheap Alnico V single pickup shielding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Dec 12, 2015.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl Inactive

Oct 30, 2013
    I just bought a single coil Catronia pickup for $15. I plan to use the neck pickup only to get the Upright like sound using Roto 88s on my 30" SX Jazz bass. The poles are exposed top & bottom. To shield what can or should be done other than lining the pickup cavity with coppertape & attaching a ground wire?

2. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    What you said is probably your best option, one other is to wrap a strip of copper tape with the backing still on, so it doesn't stick, around the windings, and run a ground wire from it, but...if you do that you don't want to wrap completely around the windings, you need to leave a small gap...the first option is the better one, there's no way, really to completely shield the whole pickup, the part that sticks up out of the body will not be covered, neither will the top, but, copper tape in the cavity will help, and is probably the best option.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I don't know the exact pickup type mentioned, google shows a strat type pickup. In this case you just shield the cavity and hope for the best. I honestly don't know what you could do better aside from fabricating a plastic surround and shielding that.

4. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl Inactive

Oct 30, 2013
    Also another related question. Since this $15 Catronia pickup will be used the balance pot turned to 85-95% in the neck position (with the bridge pickup mostly silent) In order to minimize the hum should I reverse the polarity of one of the pickups (probably the bridge) putting both pickups in parallel like a Rickenbacker?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  5. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    You will get strange tones if you wire them out of phase, so, yes one gets wired opposite polarity of the other, but, you won't know it's right till you try it, I would wire it up, and if it's out of phase, (sounds strange, or bad), just switch the hot, and ground on either of the pickups, no telling which way they wound the new one, (it isn't standardized, could be either way)

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021