1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cheap amp for smooth tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderbird90DB, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    hi guys!
    just wanna ask for any recommendations for a cheap amp but enough wattage for gigging, maybe like 50 or above watts, and maybe two speakers as im sure that helps the tone. id also like it solid state to so i dont have to worry about tubes breaking and all that.
    Many thanks for your help!
    I own a MB30 right now and very unsatisfied with that amp, so im looking for something that wont distort becuase my bass is too powerful for it (its active)

2. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    oh! i forgot! i buy in pounds as im in the uk, and also im looking for a SMOOTH, clear and not muddy tone, like for jazz, thats my preference for bass tone :) my current amp seems to do all but that tone i want! lol!

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Thunderbird90DB.

Yeah... When I hear the word jazz, I think of Marshall amplification. :D

Seriously though, what's your budget? Which bass do you play? Roundwounds, or flatwounds? Do you play in a band? If so, what's its instrumentation?

I'd think that a tilt-back combo in the ~ 100 - 200 watt range with a 12" speaker would be what you are looking for.

BTW. Since you're chasing a jazz rig, you may wish to post in the Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB] forum as well.

Happy hunting! :)

4. I have no idea if this is a good UK instrument website, but try to find a Warwick Sweet 15 somewhere, I have one and I love it.

5. you could try the fender 250 watt 210 combo, those things are smooth deep and not muddy at all.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ashdown MAG combo?

7. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    +1 I have played this amp for years. capable of many things

8. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    done

9. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    +1

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, lots of choices. Your best bet is to go play anything you find, see what you like. Look for at least 100 watts, 200 or more, even better, (you can never have too much), and also a pair of 10's, or a 15" speaker. Most all the above will do, but you have to please your own ears, so test drive for 100% satisfaction. Remember also, doesn't matter what's popular, only what sounds good to your ears, and have fun in the process.

11. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Hard to get a high-fidelity tone for cheap, so I'd look used.

12. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    fender 210 combo it is! :) thanks guys!

13. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    As always, Hartke.

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Dude, you can get that tone in a GK Combo amp, I would get one with a 15 or 2 10s. To me, and I have seen a few Summers, GK is warm and gets close to tube sounding.

15. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

While we're being silly here, I can recommend things I like for dinner. Don't know if you'd like them, though. It's the same with tone. Tone is like taste.