Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap amp off Ebay

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by byrdsfan, Jun 3, 2004.

1. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Ok it's a guitar amp, a QSC Bantam but it was only $26!
    I dopped in with a huge number when it was $10 with 30 seconds to go. I think there's a name for this (besides being annoying). I almost screwed this up because i didnt leave time to outbid myself.
    Anyway, this was well reviewed on Harmony Central, which states the Altec 417-8H series II 12" speaker in it is worth many times what the amp usually costs used. It does 50 watts and has reverb. It's from '72 and is said to have tube tone.
    I feel sorry for the seller but the guy showed a picture with the power cord spliced to a white extension cord. For five bucks, he could have easily doubled the bidding.
    Yeah sometimes i play bass thorugh the cheap guitar amps i've picked up but mostly they're there for band practice.
    Best practice bass amp? A mini 9-volt Marshall!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You were a snipe. It's OK, it's the only way to win an auction on eBay at a decent price (IMHO).

Congrats!!!!

Speaking of...gotta go :D

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    It's funny how the auction has the most action in the last 30 seconds, due to sniper bidding. This is where having a fast internet connection dominates. I don't think it's cool, but I am guilty of it myself on occaision. Oh well... congrats on the purchase. :)

4. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Yeah the guitarist in my band was always complaining about last-second bidders whe he didnt have a cable modem. But i remember i used to do it pretty good even with dialup.
    Sniping, huh?

5. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL

I think that Altec is worth around $200. Great snipe.

6. Sniping is almost required now-a-days on ebay. Thats how I managed to get two basses, a hardcase, and an amp for $150, and that was with a dail up connection. Great snipe.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Those QSC Bantam amps are pretty solid for bass, too, as a practice amp or for living-room jams. Pat Quilter (the Q in QSC) designed it, and we used to hold many jam sessions at his house. I usually just brought my axe and plugged into his Bantam.

The amp is solid state but has a feature that prevents the output transistors from saturating fully. This gives it a "soft clipping" effect, similar to a tube.

8. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I was kind of thinking it would be suitable for bass (low volume) when i read what a good speaker was in it.

Quilter wrote a review of it on the Harmony Central page. i hope the seller doesnt back out since he got so little for it. but i paid him right away.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Was there a reserve price? If the seller set a reserve price, and your bid didn't reach it, the seller is not obligated to complete the sale.

But if there was no reserve, you get the amp.

10. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Came today! First off it's a litte bigger than i figured and much nicer looking. The rooster (Bantam) image on the speaker cloth is very present, much more so than the photo.
    As far as the guy, i feel sorry for him. IT's a nice amp and he only got $26 for it. But he didnt set a mininum, was less than enthusiastic and sold it with a white extension cord patched onto the black power cord. Come on! A ten buck investment and he could have gotten $100. Even if he patched a black cord would have looked better.
    I got it when i was on my way out to work so only used it for like five minutes. I plugged in the patched cord (showing copper) but will have my guitar player friend fix that for me.
    It was loud! Like a physical wave of sound. Much louder than a compact Marshall (eight inch speaker) i have hanging around. Unlike the MArshall though I couldnt get it to distort, but that's what fuzz boxes are for!
    And for bass content, i plugged my Dano DC into it. Too trebly for real use, even with mid and treble turned al the way down. It might still use it along with my Ampeg 100R for a little high end boost.
    Best thing though is it was waiting on the front step for me. I rushed it down to the "band room" without my wife seeing it! So I didnt have to go my whole "but it was only $26!" spiel.
    :hyper:

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Good deal. IMHO, $26 is a real steal for that amp; I would've expected there to be a reserve of at least about $80 to $100. How much was the shipping?

12. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Shipping was $20. I feel like Jesse James. I love having a basement full of amps and stuff. We have a huge sub basement that's bigger than some clubs. As soon as i saw that i said, "We'll take it."

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Well, if you ever want to talk to the designer, I know he likes to talk about stuff like that. :)

14. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Well i did observe that the amp is unusual in that the front come off and not the back. at least that's what i figured taking a quick look at it. I have to replace the power cord btu there are no seams on the back of the amp.