Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razgard, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Razgard

Razgard

Mar 28, 2001
    Beaumont Texas
    I have very limited funds that can go towards my guitar.. I am looking for a cheap amp I could use for small venues and such.
    I am very new to the guitar community and everything, and I know nothing about amps, but I overheard someone talking about putting car speakers in a cabinet and hooking an amp up to it.
    Would that be the right way to go if i want something cheap? Or would this just be a waste of my time?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It's a lot easier if you tell us about how low your budget is. How much can you afford? As with many other things, you generally get what you pay for with bass gear. Do you want to sound good? Do you need to be loud? Do you want the amp to be portable? It's a jungle out there, but it'll be easier if you tell us more what you're looking for...

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    No no no!! Learn from my mistake... doing it yourself is never cheaper. To add insult to injury, it usually doesn't sound as good. I just bought a used Peavey 2x15 cabinet for $100. Try to beat that, making it yourself.

Go to http://www.ebay.com and look for cabs there. You can buy a 1x15 cab from speakerhole for $85 that is brand new. They sell a 2x15 for $129. (remember these are cheap, don't expect world class gear) Then get a small amp head like a RCB 200 from Gallien Kruegar. It will put 100w into that 2x15 or I think about 50w into the 1x15. You should be able to get that for $125 or so.

Now assuming you do the 2x15 you are out about $254 + shipping and have a pretty decent amp and cab.

Now for that same $250 or so you could probably get a used combo amp... maybe the Carvin PB100 (100w into a 15) or Maybe even the PB200. The other guys here could probably tell you about some of the other cheap used equipment they have found.

One more time for emphasis, making your own does not end up being cheaper.

4. Razgard

Razgard

Mar 28, 2001
    Beaumont Texas
    Well, my friend is offering to sell me 2 12 inch (or 15 inch? i forget) speakers from his car (hes upgrading) for 50 dollars. Very good speakers, includes bust protection also.
    If i bought the cabinet and put those speakers into a cabinet.
    I could put an amp up to that, or...

I can buy a "Crate BX 160" used for about $200 or so (so far on ebay, 3 days is a long time for an amp on ebay :)) I was wondering if there were any specs i could look out for?

Weight doesnt matter much to me, just need something that I could possibly use in small venues.

I can prolly, hopefully spend 200-250 for an amp, which isnt much im guessing...
    Any brands i could look for?

Sorry if i seem kind of unclear on this, I know an extreme minimal about amps and speakers and the such