Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by -Saosin-, Sep 17, 2005.

1. -Saosin-

-Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005
    Whats a cheap amp 60 watts or above?

2. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    whats your price range? cheap for me or you might not be cheap for bill gates. :p

3. -Saosin-

-Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005
    $150-$200.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Behringer.

Or you can buy used. I'm iffy on used electronics myself. Something may look perfectly fine physically but all jacked up electronically.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

A good cheap amp with lots of cool features is the Alesis Bassfire 60. 60 watts, 12" woofer, built in tuner and TONS of effects and amp/speaker modeling, compressor, etc. I got mine for $139 shipped )open box special) at music123.com A lot of sites also sell them "B" stock for $169. Most carry totally new and not B stock for $199 shipped. It's a lot of amp for that price!

[​IMG]

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    hey, that's pretty nice! I got a couple pieces from Alesis (drum machine, power conditioner), so I'm familiar with their quality...din't know about this amp, though.

7. Peavys. Mines older then i am, i've thrown that thing off the stage, had it fall off a moving car, kicked it all around the house, even played a wacked out game of football with it once. those things will last longer then we will and still sound good.

8. -Saosin-

-Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005
    What does everyone think of the Rogue RB120 120W 1x15 Bass Combo? I've found this for cheaper then the alesis bassfire.

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    There's a reason its so cheap, Rogue have a very bad rep around here, both in terms of quality and sound.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think the Rogue has a bad rep just about everywhere in the world of bass. The Alesis products which I've encountered- sevral FX units- have sounded very good. But, do you already have an amp? You might not need a new one if you have a practice amp already and should probabally save up a bit. If you do really need more volume, the Alesis should be great. I've also had good experiences with Fender and Crate combos.

11. -Saosin-

-Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005
    edit nvm.

I dont already have an amp.

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Then in which case, see this post:

:)

13. A used peavey would be good, and as said they are built to last!

that Alesis combo looks pretty cool tho, im not familiar with thier stuff

14. Never liked the cheaper ashdowns personally, a friend of mine had the electric blue one, and it was just gash :scowl:

15. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    DO NOT BUY THIS AMP!!!!!

The speaker is fine, but the amp itself is horrible, it's just a fuzzy, undefined mush. The controls are useless, it just doesn't do anything right.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I would wholeheartedly recommend a used Peavey TNT combo, with a 15" speaker and 200W of power, nearly indestructable and can be had for about $200. And you'll hang onto it for a good long time, if not forever. It'll last that long too.

17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Or this---> Click

100 watts, 1x15", free shipping, $300...

[​IMG]

18. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA

NEVER BUY BERINGER. It dies after a year or 2. If you are gonna keep it that long. Why don't you save up some more money? You can get a better deal. Also check pawn shops and stuff. Never know what you will find. Used is not evil, either.

19. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA

Oh, well that changes everything. What is your style? :confused: