Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ergodynebass, Aug 6, 2000.

1. I'm looking for an upgrade from a peavey minx 100 35 watt amp but can only afford $175-200. What would be a good amp to get? I found this great Hartke cab that has 1 15" in it and its only $150, maybe i'll wait on a head.

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    From my experiences you probably won't find much at all in that price range. What are you looking for: more wattage, a large speaker, more tone/EQ options? Hartke is a pretty good name to go with. A lot of people don't like them, but I've never had any problems with any of my Crate amps (though they're slightly above your price range). My suggestion would be to save up some money and buy what you really want so that you don't have the desire to upgrade again in a year or so. My vote for what I would do in your situation would be to get a combo in the 100-200 watt range (the SWR Workingman's 15 comes to mind as well as the Workingman's 12). Try out some of the mid- to upper-range combos so that you can find out exactly what your needs are. Otherwise, if you're intent on getting an amp for that kind of money then try used, if you're patient then you'll stand a good chance of finding some excellent bargains. Good luck!

3. Yea, I would, however I'm limited to that amount of money, maybe I can find something used that sounds descent. SWR's rock, mainly because they can get down so low. I cannot afford one at the moment. It would suit my Ibanez well though.