Cheap Amps...not enough motivation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jan 22, 2002.

1. i hate my situation...i know that i own a really powerful, good sounding L-2000.

But what happens when you plug a good bass into a cheap amp??? get a bad sound?...

i hate it!!! makes practicing unenjoyable.

Sometimes I even think that my L-2000 is to blame for the bad tone I get when I play.

Does anyone here suffer from the same situation
    as I???
  2. Not me, I play "crappy" basses through good amps, and the result is a cool sound!

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    What kind of amp are you using? My "cheap" amp is a Peavey Microbass. It has a nice fat tone IMHO.
    What Throbbinut said; I ran my son's Cort SB-10 through a Peavey Mark IV head and 2x15 cab. Sounded great for a $150.00 bass.
  4. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    nam, i know exactly what you mean. I run my yamaha RBX 260 through a CRATE. :( I played through some sweet fat amps, and my tone was so sweet. I need a new amp badly.:D
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Rogue AB305, Orlando Violin Bass, Fender Jazz, Steinberger Spirit...

All sound good to me in my Bassman 25 or RC210... Of course on some of them, you have to tweak the controls a tad! :)
  6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I play my Fender Standard Jazz 5 through my brother's old Peavey Rage (18 watt, 8" speaker:p) all the time. Crappy bass through crappy amp doesn't give THAT bad of a sound as long its just barely audible:D
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The L-2000 puts out a lot of low end (easy to overload a small amp), roll the bass control down and you may find the sound aint bad at all! Also, try parallel mode instead of series.

Then start saving for a new amp.
  8. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I'm using my L-1000 through a Crate BX-100, and it sounds just fine. One thing I learned about the G&L is that the volume pots and pickups are designed to overdrive when opened up wide. Try backing off the volume about 1/4 and increasing your amp volume a touch. It will make a big difference.
  9. What about using a headphone type amp?

This way you will get full bass fidelity down to the lowest note, depending on the quality of your headphones, and you won't make anybody angry with the noise.

These little goodies are also an excellent method of comparing the true tone of different basses. I got to use a Korg box at the last bass party I attended. It even had a drum machine built in.
  10. Get a Danelectro NIfty 70, great fat bass sound, *great* guitar sound, no distortion pedal needed!:D