Cheap Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EternalDarkness, Sep 29, 2004.

1. EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    I know much less on Bass Amps than on Bass guitars.

I was wandering for up to 100 pounds (around $150?) which amps would you recommend? :)

I've read and heard from people that the Behringer amps are not too good and are unreliable?

I need it to ahve preamp as i need to record directly to my 4 track recorder.
  2. $150 will, if you're extremely lucky, get you a used combo amp barely capable of playing with a drummer. If you just want a :practice in bedroom" amp, then there's plenty of options. I've heard good things about the Roland Cubes and Peavey's Microbass combos.

Sorry I can't help anymore.
  3. Since you live in the UK, you should check out Ashdown. They have a practice amp line that shouldn´t break your bank.

Although you don´t really need an amp just to record bass on a 4-track. A headphone amp or an amp modeler like Korg Ampworks would do the trick as well. Personally I would just save up to get an amp that has use outside the bedroom. In the mean time I´d just plug my bass straight into the four track.

But that´s just me. If you have no intention to play with a band, a small practice amp could be all you need.
  4. EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    sweet, thanks

nice to have more choice with budget amps, hopefully i'll find bass amps that dont make that annoying humming noise. Like my bad Fender Frontman15G for the guitar.
  5. Behringer makes a good combo amp thats really punchy and really cheap. I don't think you can record out from it, though. And the sound is really mediocre compared to the better amp companies like Ampeg or whatever. Good practice amp, but if you want something with a better sound for your recording pick up an Ampeg B50-R combo or something.