1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cheap...and good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alpha Waves, May 8, 2006.

1. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
    hi, ive got my main pedal setup sorted (compressor, overdrive and chorus) but im a bit bored and kinda looking for some other effects to play with. as these are not gonna be used much (if at all) in my band, i dont really want to part with a lot of cash.

so are there any hidden gems in the danelectro or behringer range or any other cheap pedals that you recommend, or do all these cheap pedals just sound bad and destroy your tone?

2. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    Uhm...
    Give the Danelectros a try.
    Specially Daddy-O, Fab Tone and Cool Cat.

3. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    well as nice as the names of those pedals are, they are not very clear ;). What do they do?

4. Try to check out Guyatone's MD-3 Micro Delay. Great pedal that doesn't cost much. The controls are voiced very well and you can do some wild stuff with it once you have a grasp on their ranges. It's also very small, so it won't take up too much space on your board. I also have a friend who swears by their orange fuzz pedal for a growly 70s Soft Machine style roar. I love its sound on bass.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You can usually pick up a DOD fx25 auto-filter for about $25 used, and for the price they sound pretty cool.

6. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    Daddy-O is an overdrive; Fab tone, a distortion, and Cool Cat, a chorus.

7. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've heard good things about the DigiTech Bad Monkey, though I haven't gotten one myself yet. It's just a cheap analog tube distortion box.

-Dash

8. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Behringers Vintage Phaser is a nice unit, as is the Ultra Flanger. You might look at their Ultra Octaver as well. All of them are less than $30 and if you get em from a place like music123 and dont like them, they are easy to return (45 days)