Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Azolas

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Intrepid, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Anybody know where I can find cheap Azola standups? I can't afford $2000 right now, because I just bought a Rick and I really need a good upright...or any other brand for that matter...

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Keep your eye open for used ones.

I see used Bugbasses in the $1300-1500 range almost weekly in the want ads at Harmony Central.

3. vanderbrook

vanderbrook Some days, I miss frets... Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Don't know what part of the country you're in, DODGE, or how long you might be willing to wait, but my Original BugBass (bought "new" 6 months ago) will be for sale soon... probably mid-April. Has the optional "iced tea" sunburst finish and inlaid position markers, plus new Thomastik Spirocores. The Azola is incredibly convenient, but I'd rather play The Real (carved) Bass I got in December.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Bass NW now seems to be offering them in several varieties (and probably for less than $2000; I haven't checked).

The new Lightning Bug looks to be as small as a normal-mensure EUB can possibly get.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    An Azola listed in my free classified ads at www.urbbob.com/classads.html has just dropped in price:

Peter Lips, posted 1/12, 2/8 with lower price
    Azola Bugbass II with Thomastik Spirocore strings, position markers, and a padded gig bag. The bass is in perfect condition and I am asking $1395. I live in Pacific Grove, CA. A picture of the bass can be found at the following site: www.azola.com/sys-tmpl/newmodels/. I can be reached at (831)915-3513 - ask for Pete!

6. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Alright....I still need to make a few bucks, but I'll be there eventually...

7. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    On another note are Azolas good for all styles...seems like most people use it for latin music, but I need it for jazz, swing, whatever...

8. I was lucky enough to visit the Azola's shop last year and play a bunch of basses. I found that depending on the model and pickups used they sounded quite different. My favorite model was a floating top Bug Bass. It sounded the closest to a real DB. The floating top really helps the basses sound closer to the "real thing". If you check their web site you will find many jazz players use their basses as well. I would give them a call or email with questions. Jill Azola is one of the most helpful people you will ever meet.