cheap backup bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by easy, May 2, 2005.

1. easy

Mar 16, 2005
    hey guys, I'm looking for a cheap backup bass for practice.

last night my SUB stopped working, and it's my only bass. I don't want something like this to happen again.

In the future, my plan is for the SUB to be my backup, and the Bongo, StingRay, or Corvette will probably be my main bass.

but in the mean time, while repairs are being made on my bass, I need something cheap for practice.

I'm looking at the Ibanex GAXB150, or the Yamaha RBX170 or the Squire P bass

I'm just looking for most bang for the buck. What do you guys think?
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Id go with the Yamaha, it's not a bad bass for the $, and has the most versatility. Are you planning on keeping the bass?
  3. easy

Mar 16, 2005
    short answer: yes, I'll be keeping it

I'm planning on keeping it until I can afford to get something better than my SUB, at which point the SUB will be relegated to backup duty. Then again, it never hurt anybody to own three basses...
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I say...SX Bass.

At least over the Squire...
  5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Definitely Yamaha.

Just be sure to pick a color you can live with!

6. Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit

I'm curious, what happened to the SUB?
  7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  8. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    there are so many cheap name brand basses on ebay its crazy !

new works but then your paying more. id stay away from the squire though. my first bass was a squire, and it didnt work well for the first couple months i had it, and then it didnt work at all.
  9. easy

Mar 16, 2005
    I was F'ing around with the instrument cable on the bass end while it was plugged in and I think I just broke the input circuit board thing. local repair shop said it would only cost 25 bucks to fix and would only take a few hours.
  10. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    If you are going with a Squier, check this one...

its much nicer than the Affinity series and has the upgraded Alnico pickups,

Played one at GC and was really impressed. Easily competing with the OLP basses in the same price range. I do own an OLP and if I would have came upon this Squier bass the same way I did the OLP, I would own it.
  11. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
  12. easy

Mar 16, 2005
    What's the SX Bass?
  13. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yamaha or Peavy.
  14. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY

Best Basses in my opinion say, under the $500 range (and if yous wap out the pups you may be even happier - for less than a MIM Fender)
  15. easy

Mar 16, 2005
    those are pretty cheap. do they have retail stores, or are they on-line only? I don't like to buy things without trying them first
  16. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Uh, Rond's store is in NJ...

But trust me, they're spectacular, search for the Essex Megathread - 170 pages and counting, theres bound to be something good.
  17. easy

Mar 16, 2005
    heh, I don't plan on reading 165 pages, though... maybe I'll start at the end and read backwards for a while
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Good news is it's only $15 more than the Yamaha YOU wanted! A much better bass on closeout... And even better, spend $10 on more gear and get shipping free! Consider the shipping on any other bass would likely cost $25... might as well put that money towards straplcoks!
  19. Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    I dont get it

if it only costs $25 to repair then why dont you keep the sub as your backup and use your corvette etc.

Is it just me that thinks spending $200 on a new bass is pointless if you can fix a better bass for 1/10th of the money, or have i missed the point somewhere?