1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap Bass Amp for headphones..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metallious, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Metallious

Metallious

Jan 22, 2012
    Hi guys,

I am interested in purchasing a bass guitar, I am looking around on my local website online for people selling theirs, so that's all covered.

http://www.amazon.com/Vox-AmPlug-Bass-Guitar-Headphone/dp/B001GH4H3W

I am just curious as to whether thats the only alternative for listening to the bass with headphones...

I know it may sound a bit silly but I've never really looked into this before. Do normal amps (with the speakers) have headphone jacks as well?

Sorry for being lazy looking into it, but I thought the forums would know best :) Any feedback would be great.

Thanks guys :bassist:

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Plenty of amps have a headphone out jacks. And there are several alternatives to the Vox AmPlug, like Cafe Walter or Pandora, but if you're looking for something inexpensive to get you by until you get more gear, the Vox will work.

3. A mini mixer will also work. I know people use the cheap berhinger ones for home use with good results. I would put more money in the headphones then the headphone amp/mixer cause cheap headphones will sound bad no matter what you play them through.

4. open.eadg

open.eadg

Jun 13, 2010
    Hungary
    It depends on the amp. Many combos/amp heads have a headphone out, like my Ampeg PF-500 head (it also has a line in, which is handy for play-along practices). I also frequently use headphones with a Zoom B1 pedal.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Too many to list but still a good question. I recently purchased a NOS Hartke 1400 which works great with headphones and has just enough power (80 watts / 8 ohm) to light up a small enclosure.

Riis

6. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    i just bought the Ibanez IBZ10B practice combo... has all the tuner options, (high, mid, low) with a separate headphone jack, AND a separate headphone volume button, IIRC. cost me 70 bucks, and in talking to a friend who had one, it was great for solo practice and jamming.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Nearly all the little beginner type practice amps now have a headphone out and inputs to plug in a cd player/ipod to practice along with songs, plugging in the phones mutes the speaker. Some larger amps have the same thing. I'd be inclined to go that way as sometimes it's just nice to hear your bass in "real life" for lack of a better term.

+1 to getting decent headphones.

Haven't tried it with bass but with guitar, my little marshall ms-2 sounds really good through the headphone jack, a lot better than you'd think.

8. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    If you're looking for a killer headphone amp (which is good for home recording and going direct into a PA too) the Digitech BP355 is worth auditioning.

They sell for ~ $250 and deliver studio quality sound with plenty of amp & cab models, good sounding effects, and a built in beat box etc.

Here's a thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/new-digitech-bp355-721629/

9. styro

styro

Dec 22, 2011
    Korg Pandora Mini works well for me!

10. Shane Carter

Shane Carter

May 21, 2007
    Detroit
  11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    A mini mixer can be had new on eBay for 40 bucks, and will allow you to hear your bass and mix in an iPod/puter or other source. A Korg Pandora will be more portable and give you other features like drum beats, but will cost more. For the price of a Pandora you can also get a small Peavey combo with headphone out and aux in. IMO the last is the best option. Even if you like playing through phones most of the time, the day your buddy and his guitar ask you to come make some noise you'll be happy to have the little combo.

12. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I'd consider something like the zoom B1 instead. It is a headphone amp, tuner, limited drum machine, and has effects and amp modeling. I wouldn't choose it for on-stage, but for practice, it might fit the bill.

13. Hard to beat the convenience of the S1b Pocket Rocket (on Amazon for $39) and a little iPod for the line in for music. I use the Sennheiser PX-100 headphones (41 bucks).

14. Metallious

Metallious

Jan 22, 2012
    Thank you guys a lot for the suggestions!

I have a pair of (Closed) Audio Technica M50's which is why I am sort've looking towards using it more for the time being, noise has always been a problem in my household which just kills any motivation to practice, especially with an electrical instrument.

I am now more interested then ever to get started! :D So many options as well! I'm glad to know now that amps allow for headphone input, and yes, I love these headphones so I'm sure they will do me well for practice. ATM If things go ahead I will simply be jamming on my own, none of my friends are into any sort've instrument so... I will definitely check all these out and narrow down the choices.

15. famousbirds

famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    I personally am not a fan of the AmPlugs. Cool concept, but they have very little headroom, eq'd a bit bright, and have trouble driving some headphones.

The Pandora PX5D is perhaps my all-time favorite piece of gear. Highly recommended. Great tone, rhythm tracks, phenomenal looper. A+