Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Bass For A Noob...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dumbassist, Mar 16, 2006.

1. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Hey TBers!

Yes its me...The Noob Who asks dumb Qns and Get No Ans...:ninja:
    Just Asking For Opinions...Im Looking to Buy my 1st bass...:hyper:
    But Im Not Sure What tho get...It seems like every Bass that catches my eye got bad Comments...:mad:
    I Play the Punk Rock Genre...
    Now Im Narrowing Down To these basses...

Esp B 50/55
    OLP MM2
    SX SJB-62 (Can't Find a P!!!:crying: )
    Yamaha RBX 170
    Lately, Ive Been GASSING for a White P-bass+ Black Pickguard...:meh:

i was thinking of getting a MIJ Fender But its too expensive (to me) at SGD$890...Ard US$550...:(

What's Your Opinion????:help:

2. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    You realize that the SX that you listed is indeed a P, right?

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

The SJB's are Jazz basses. The SPB's are p basses.

What about an SX P&J like this:

[​IMG]

You can find it here: http://www.rondomusic.net/spj62.html

4. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Oops, I misread his post, I was thinking SPB. My bad.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Right, but he said he wanted it in white with a black pick guard.

I also think that the P&J config may be a good option for a beginner bassist as it gives more tonal variety to play with to find your own sound.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Have you played any of them or do you have to buy sight unseen?

No Ps at www.rondomusic.net? I just saw a bunch of them...

In the budget bass range...there are plenty of good ones to be had, but there is a lot of variation from instrument to instrument. You either have to spend some time trying a few out, or pray for a special one when ordering online...

For punk, a P style bass should work just fine. If you got one with a J pickup at the bridge, you'd have more tonal options should you need them...

Good luck!!!

7. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I caught that too and edited it. Man, I need to slow down!

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1. My thoughts exactly. Can't beat the SX for the price either....

9. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    You also might be able to find some decent used P basses at a decent price in the TB for sale section.

10. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    If you want a P, buy a P. If you want a P and can't afford a P, buy a P clone. I own an OLP MM2 (among others), but that's because I prefer the MM sound and feel. The OLP is a completely different animal (uh, bass) than a P or a P clone (or a J or a J clone).

11. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Um, not to be snooty or discouraging, but because they all pretty much stink, TRY THEM. Find the rare one that sounds and plays better than the others. Try as many of each as you can. You will know.

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yamaha makes quality gear at all levels. Hard to go wrong.

13. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1, how about a fender mexi p

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Ibanez and Yamaha both make good quality instruments that play and sound good.

I don't trust the SX really cheap P or J knockoffs. Who knows how long the neck will stay playable, but some claim they sound good and work well.

Since you're new at it, you really should go around and play everything you can. You'll find expensive basses that sound cheap and cheap basses that sound expensive.

I picked up an Ibanez SRX 300 for a good price new. It's a very good bass for the money. Put good strings on it and it's ready to go. I got it for a spare to use for teaching and just because I liked the sound. I even took it out on gigs instead of my P and it did the job just fine. It's actually easier and more comfortable to play than my Fender.

I also saw some Yamahas at the same price that seemed good too.

You just need to get some experience with instruments before you spend a lot. Once you've played out some you'll get an idea of what suits you.

15. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I say either SX or Ibanez. I've had good experiences with both of em, and you can get an Ibanez pretty cheap for a good one (Just got a SR800 on Ebay for 190 shipped with HSC...was like suhweet.)

16. +1 on Yamaha. My first bass was a Yamaha and it still my main bass 18 years later.

17. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    I would recommend getting an Ibanez. What kind of bass are you looking for? Must it be a P bass? If you dont mind having a J bass, you can take a look at the cheaper Ibanez bass like GSR200, etc.. They are pretty decently priced and like many who have commented about my bass(GSR205), it's a good bass.

18. OK,

for Just over $100, go and get one of these (available in Lake Placid Blue, Black or 3T Sunburst):

[​IMG]

Here: http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62.html

It'll be a very playable bass, and more than enough to get you started.

Go get it, and get playing. Enjoy yourself, and if you find the need to upgrade in the future, then do so.

;)

19. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Ouh K...
    I think U tbers dont get it...
    Im Frm Spore...
    the price of shipping will cost me a lot...
    Plus...not many brands are allowed to ship here...
    if u know any gd sites that ships fenders to spore.. u let me know...
    Im only limited to whatever bass shops there is here...

20. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005