Cheap Bass for Slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tiredman9, Sep 5, 2005.

1. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Are there any cheap basses out ther that are really good for slap (my main bass has no slap tone, even according to people who play slap very well). 500 max. Anything besides a Stingray ripoff? And im not after a Flea slap sound but a lot more funky and less rock. Also any good slap bass books or the like?
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was really impressed today with a Cort Curbow 5. The 5 was $429 and the 4 was $351. These basses have small bodies, but fingerboards that go on forever. They have nice Bartolini electronics and sound great being slapped. I'm getting one, this thing is a better deal than a Tribute or Skyline if you don't mind a smallish body.
  3. stingray no OLP MM2...ok...let's see...

how about a Yamaha RBX374 they go for about $350 new
    or an Ibanez RD300 goes for about $220 new

I have a cheapo Yamaha RBX170 (PJ passive) that slaps just fine.
  4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    yamaha bb, or road gear. bb has great slap tone.
  5. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    MIM Fender Jazz. You can pick up one new for well under 400, or used for 200-300. Upgrade the bridge to a Badass II for ~50 bucks.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I second the Yamaha RBX 170. If you are really on a budget (under $200), the RBX 170 is a great bass with a great slap and finger tone. Just take your time and find one where the frets aren't too sharp on the edges.
  7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Isn't the MTD Kingston said to have a robust slap tone?

EDIT: Otherwise, Fender Jazz or some other Jazz Bass copy.
  8. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    +10000000000000000000000000000 on the Cort Curbow. Slaps like a dream, was all over one yesterday. Second hand they trade very cheaply, even new they are a steal. Make sure you get a newer Bartolini equipped one though.
  9. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    if you can find a used fender precision lyte with actives you'll like it
  10. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    tribute G&L 2000 best slappy bass under 6 hundred period. the tribute L2k rocks! there are tons new and used all over ebay and some online retailers.

my 2 cents.

11. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    i had one and couldnt even get a somewhat decent slap tone out of it. very groovy but way too dark for slap. even with my goliath III and some serious EQing.

id suggest any of the peavey grind basses or new millenniums. i was able to get a great slap tone out of these at the store with some mid scoop and boosting highs and lows.
  12. Fender jazz of some sort? MIM or a used MIA?
  13. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    i've been exceedingly happy with my MIM jazz std for doing just about everything...

then again- i'm new to the bass. hahah

14. You'd be looking at around $AU 1700 (~$US 1275) for a L2K Trib down here, mate...:(
  15. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    ...but the original poster lists his location as New York, so the Australia price/exchange rate doesn't quite pertain to the thread.
  16. QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I've heard good things about the Cort Curbow but have never personally heard one. Does anyone have any sound clips or know where I could find some?