cheap bass=no respect

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WickdMOnkey, Dec 29, 2004.

1. WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    What do you guys think? If someone is playing a cheap bass do you give them any respect or not? I personally do as long as they can play. I ask because right now my stable consist of a 1970s Gibson SG, Fender Jazz, and Squire P-bass 5 string. Lately I have been playing the crap out of the squire. I really feel like I have found a groove with it and I just love the tone I am getting out of it and the way it feels. Anyway, a guy in this band we are sorta friends with plays a Rickenbacker and we were talking about basses after a show we did with them and he goes "was that a fender you were using up there?" and I go no it was a squire and he laughs at me. I was like what the heck man? I personally think he and I are on the same level as bass players. We are both coming into our own but not great by any means. I would say we are average to slightly above average and now the guy disses me becuase of what I play. What do you guys think? Like I said I don't care what someone plays as long as they can groove with it.
  2. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    some pople judge your talent based on what gear you have. i used to do it until i met this dude that could totally rip up a rogue bass. i was horrified when a kid at my high school brought a Fodera emperor 5 to school and was doing guitar flips with it, i almost had a heart attack. i thought he was gonna have some monster chops until he plugged it into an amp turned on some massive distortion and played pseudo casualties riffs with a pick. i later found out it was his first bass.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Who cares. Play the heck out of it. To each his own. If you have pride in your playing and craft, you may eventually step up for something a bit more quality. Bottomline, if it sounds and plays good, it sounds and plays good. LOL

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I respect a person who has enough backbone that he or she doesn't feel the need to own a cool bass. I noticed that the bassist in Los Lonely Boys plays a Hohner six. I'm sure he could have a boutique but obviously he is comfortable with his Hohner, I respect the fact that he feels no need to change. I think about Prince playing a Hohner Telecaster copy during his Purple Rain phase, whose gonna tell Prince that he can't play? Finally, I always think of Debra Killings saying in Bass Player that her Squire Precision Bass Special Five is her main studio bass. I'm sure Outkast didn't complain when she playing "I Like the Way You Move."
  5. yes!!
  6. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    I will say that one of the most bad ass bass players I have ever seen played on a Univox bass. Kjell Brenner, so who the hell cares what gear whoamever uses.
  7. ..respect, I mean, when deserved. I played at a Pastor's retirement party where my Church's choir & band guested. Their bass player pulled out his Rogue 6 string- I said, "not bad (it sounded fine)". He checked out my Stambaugh 6, said "not bad". Their band smoked- this guy was very tasteful. Anyway, turns out he had just gotten off a 9 year stint playing guitar with The Temptations. My point? I dunno, be nice to people with cheap stuff, maybe you'll get it back sometime. I agree it's wrong for anyone to dis a cheap ax if you make it sound good.
  8. WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    I have been looking for a while to upgrade actually but in all honesty I have found nothing that feels as comfortable and gets the tone I want. It sounds totally retarded I know but I am just really in tune with that bass right now.

I used to play the crap out of my SG and Jazz bass but I bought this one to see if I would like a 5 string several years ago and it just took over as my main bass. I really think at this point if I were to upgrade it would be purely for show. Unless I stumble across something that really strikes my fancy.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Squier Precision Bass Specials are nice basses, there is no need to upgrade if you don't feel the need. I wish like heck I weren't always looking at some new bass. :rolleyes:
  10. riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    more respect to you if you can play a cheapo instrument well
  11. WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Well I don't know how well I play but I think I do decent especially for how long I have been playing. I think my best complement came a month or so ago when my band opened up at Blueberry Hill for Monte Montgomery (probably don't know them) but anyway the bass player Dave who is one of my favorite bassist says to me after we finish our set "man you were smokin up there. I thought when you pulled out that Squire you were gonna first impression was totally wrong. I really enjoyed listening to you" Then later after telling him I had only been playing since early 2000 he really commened me on my playing and said he thought I had been playing for atleast 10 years or so. He also said I had a great warm tone. It made me feel good that someone I really look up too gave me a complement like that.
  12. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Basing respect on price of equipment = No Clue + No Class.
  13. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm reminded of the story Woodchuck related where the engineer requested he use an SX Jazz over the more expensive basses he brought in.
  14. I'm guilty of this too. I had a WArwick which i quickly got rid of. I have an Ibanez BTB that cost alot, i think i got ripped off. My main bass now is a Brice 6 string which i paid like 200 something for. THe ibanez just collects dust, and I also enjoy my Fender Jazz bass that i built from spare jazz bass parts. Just haveing a prob with the E string banging the pickup, even though the pick up is pretty far down. Anyways, I foudn a WAshburn neck through im thinking about trading the Ibanez for. ITs passive, but hey it sounds really good i think. Its going for 508 at the guitar store.
  15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It doesn't matter what bass you play. If you like it, and it sounds good, play it and forget what the bass snobs think. I've played gigs with a $99 Essex, not because it is all I can afford (I have 14 basses, most of them far more expensive), but because I like it and it did the job well. If some other bass player felt the need to laugh at me for playing it I would feel worse for him than for me.
  16. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    I've seen a lot of people playing horrible stuff on priced instruments: everytime this happens I always try to imagine what Marcus Miller (just to name one) could do on an Essex! :D
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yep, the Darryl Swann (Macy Gray) sessions. BTW, our guitarist was sent a Sqiuer prototype from Fender. If you play guitar, you're gonna LOVE these things! Great guitars! Anyway, we were sound checking when he compared the Squier to his Gibby Firebird, and that Squier proto BLEW IT AWAY! The whole band was like, "Bro, use the Squier tonight!" With which he wholeheartedly agreed. Then one of the lead vocalist says, "You might wanna cover up the name. You don't wanna lose credibility." :rollno: We all just looked at him, and noone even responded. We just shook our heads and started tuning up. It's sad when you say something SO stupid, that noone even responds!
  18. There are lots of basses around that sound great and don't cost alot ;)

Like lots of people said, it's about how you play it.

I would tend to listen first, and then say something like - "hey - that dude rocks, what's he playing?"

If someone says it an SX, or similar, I'd just say - hey that's cool!

Go for it man, it sounds like you sound great with your Squire.

More power to ya!

19. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I think I read that about 7 times, each time a bit slower, to make sure I had read it correctly.
  20. One other thing, who cares about wehether or not getting "respect" (barf!) from other musicians? Audiences consist of not just musicians, as a musician you make sound for people to listen to, period. What the label says on the end of the big stick that protrudes from that bigger guitar that the guitar player that stands in the back and does no solos ... who cares? People don't. Some musicians do, too bad for them.