Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap bass project

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by David Parker, Nov 24, 2001.

1. David Parker

David Parker

Nov 24, 2001
    I bought a cheap 5 string bass for a project. Tweaked the neck and it plays great. Problem is the low b string had no volume. Put a set of Carvin strings on it, my usual, they do fine on my other 5 string. This didn't help. Took off the cheap P-bass pickup that came on it, installed a Seymore Duncan Quarter Pound P-bass pickup on it, that helped a lot, the other four strings sound awesome. This is a passive setup. My other bass is passive also, it booms on the low b. I moved the half of the pickup that goes under the low b out to make sure it was catching the string, that helped a little. Now, if I play an E on the low B string it is as loud as if I play it on the E string, but notes below that just aren't there. A low C has practically nothing and I have to hit it hard to get anything. Do some pickups have frequency rolloffs? Can the resonance of the body roll off freq's? Do I need to move the pickup out more. Can a P-bass style pickup work on a 5 string?

2. As a matter of fact a P pup CAN work on a 5 string. I just did a customization of a Samick (cheap) fretless 5. It used a P/J setup and it works fine. I suggest making sure the pickups are at the right height. Of course you can never be sure about the cheap import pups. They could be OK 99% of the time but there are undoubtedly some poorly wound units out there. Perhaps the B on your instrument is in just the right range to not work with that pup. Rolloff is definitely a possibility.

3. David Parker

David Parker

Nov 24, 2001
    What is the right height?

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    What type of amp are you playing through? It sounds like you're running out of headroom (your amp may not have enough power to produce the lower notes at the same volume as the higher notes. lower notes require more power). Also, if you're playing through a small combo amp, a small amp speaker may not be able to handle the lower notes.

5. David Parker

David Parker

Nov 24, 2001
    I'm going direct into the PA. On my other bass I have to be gentle with the B string to keep it from being too loud. Both guitars are passive. The only thing changed is the guitar. And yes, the low B is for occasional accent only.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    For me... The right height is determined by pressing the string down at the highest fret (20th on my P Bass), and setting the pole pieces to 1/8 below the bottom of the string...

HTH,
    -robert