1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap bass rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CN2667, Mar 15, 2018.

1. CN2667

CN2667

Mar 15, 2018
    Im a guitarist and I just recently purchased a bass to play around on but I would eventually like to play with a band if I see something interesting.
    So I want to put together a bass rig and I want to go the used route. There is a peavey mark iii on ebay that I was contemplating.
    peavey mark iii series Bass Amp head | eBay

Do you guys think this would be a decent sounding head for the price? And would it be loud enough in a band setting/small gigs?

2. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    What budget?

Yes, it should be loud enough given the right speakers. But there are so many choices now days

3. CN2667

CN2667

Mar 15, 2018
    Thanks. Im trying to keep it under 400 for a head and a small cab. I will check those sites out.

4. I own a couple of olde GC Acoustic B200 rigs

6 band semi parametric Tons of tone and volume too with DI to PA if needed
    Handles low B excellently
    Very affordable as used

5. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    You definitely got one thing right.

Cheap bass rig = Peavey

I shagging love Peavey amps.

Edit: shagging? Really? Censorship at it's finest.

Giffro and saabfender like this.
  6. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Absolutely. I picked up my Mark IV at the local Sam Ash for $99. No shipping!

Giffro and BadExample like this.
  7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Castleton? Great shop.

saabfender likes this.
  8. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yeah with generally good dudes, but it's like a ghost town every time I go in there. Don't know how they stay in business.

BadExample likes this.
  9. CN2667

CN2667

Mar 15, 2018
    Thanks guys. I got a peavey mark VI for 100. Now I have to figure out the cabinet. I want to get something compact.
    For my guitar rig I have an Orange 2x12 with a peavey head and Im very pleased with the results. Do you guys think a 2x10 would do the trick? Btw I play mostly metal (stoner, doom, death, thrash), stuff like the cure, interpol but I also love stepping out of my comfort zone when playing bass like stuff like 80's pop, funk, etc.

10. SpruceApple

SpruceApple Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    That type of music requires loud bass. For cheap and loud on a budget of $300 I would strongly recommend a used 410. Or two.

Enjoy the journey.

CN2667 likes this.
  11. Think about this logically. You use a 2x12 for guitar which is easy to reproduce but think a smaller 2x10 would be good for bass? A 4x10 or 2x15 at a minimum for the genre of music you play.

BTW welcome to talk bass. :)

12. CN2667

CN2667

Mar 15, 2018
    Yeah a friend of mine said the same thing. We have two guitar centers here in Charlotte so next weekend Im going to see what they have in their used section.

13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Dude buy a Bugera Veyron head and one of their 2x10 cabs. You'll be pleasantly surprised for the money you spent.

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Choad Hammer.

gfaulkner likes this.
  15. CN2667

CN2667

Mar 15, 2018
    I bought a peavey Mark VI and an ampeg 1528. Spent 250 altogether plugged everything up and the peavey didnt power up. I replaced it with a new Hartke LH500. Altogether I spent about 400.