1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cheap bass, stingray pups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass-desires, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Hey guys, I know a fella who is selling a rogue 5 stringer (408lx or something) With active/passive electronics for a low price. ($175) It has a stingray pup and a stock jazz. This is the bass that you can change from active to passive. I am going to have a listen to it tomorrow, but wanted your input.

The body is basswood, and rosewood neck (I think). Anyway, point is, what do you think and why? I am not an expert on lower end basses and what to expect out of them. Will this baby break on me easily?

Thanks for the input!

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Not sure why you are concerned about it "breaking." Wood is wood, doesn't particularly matter who slapped their name on it. Might depend on how far you drop it, I suppose.

I'd be way more interested in how it felt and sounded...at least if you take reasonable care of your instruments.

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Seems slightly over valued.

4. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Overvalued? How so? I don't mean that to sound sarcastic, haha I really am curious. :cool:

I am going to play it today and see how it goes.

I have been reading and Rogue has a horrible rep here, (I won't lie though SX basses look awesome) but I won't lie, I had a slightly broken 200lx and after I repaired the tuners (damn things) and did some adjustments I liked it. I found it easier to fret than my GSR200.

Rep aside, are the sum of the parts worth buying?

Thanks yall

5. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
  6. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Well I guess the original question at the root would be. Would a Rogue 408lx with a bartolini pup be any good? Is the body around the pup going take away from the nice pup?

If it was stock, then haha hell no, I wouldn't pay that much for it. lol:)