Cheap bass to do a defretting job

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Jun 19, 2005.

1. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004

I think I'd like to give defretting a bass ago and was wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap bass that I could preform this operation on. Here's a list of features I would like:

• Left Handed
    • Cheap
    • quiet electronics
    • 5 string (thought I'd kill two birds with one stone, 5 string and fretless)
    I want to do this as cheap as possible because Im saving for a new head and cab but thought it would be an interesting and fun side project.

So what do guys you recomend. Thanks in advance.
  2. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    you can buy an SX fretless 5 as cheap as buying a fretted bass to defret. Their is a diffrence in feel (to me atleast) playing a fretless and a defretted bass.Plus you wouldnt risk messing it up.
  3. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    If I wanted a proper fretless bass I would buy a highend fretless. For me it's more about carrying out the project and the fact that the bass is cheap it doesn't matter if I screw it up
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Build a fretless warmoth clone...ripping the frets off a POS isn't really a "project". More something you do when drunk....
  5. Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    you guys aren't being particularly helpful.

i recommend the tanglewood rebel 4k as a cheap bass :)

hey, why not go one step further with your project and buy a right handed bass and file the nut, so you get a different look when your holding the bass.

EDIT: oh, 5 string? tanglewood rebel 5k then :hyper:
  6. I did this to my first bass, a 'Shine' Jazz copy. They are for quite common in the U.K. (dunno if that is helpful, I don't know which part of Ireland you are in!) Worked well, but the neck size isn't Fender so it's suck with that neck for the rest of it's life. Bear in mind that if you do screw it up, it may make the whole bass pretty much useless unless you are looking for some cheapo spare parts.