cheap bass wanting big sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fazziebear, Jan 4, 2005.

1. fazziebear

Jun 23, 2004
    my old bass is a.......wait for it........

encore, cheap and old, but i customised it and used it for many years. Its long been neglected and has been through the wars.

It plays pretty well and the pickups have an ok sound, i put some dimarzios on it years back. However the wiring got ripped out of it a few years ago.

So this is the question, i want to make it active and give it that full sound you get from some active basses. (almost a semi wah sound - does that make sense?)

It has a set of p position dimarzio pickups, (unsure of type, beige in colour bought over 10 years ago) and two (yes two) jazz pickups both down at the bridge. the second one was added about the same time (long story).

What can i do with these to get that active sound? do i need a special pot, do i need new pickups?
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    You need a preamp to go active. Aguilar, EMG, Bartolini and SD (+others) make them. Pick what you want and install it, but you may need to rout out the cavity in the bass to fit it in as well as somewhere to put the batteries.

I'd also add a series/parallel switch on the twin J's whilst I was doing it for even more flexibility.
  3. fazziebear

Jun 23, 2004