Cheap bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Leo Flynn, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Leo Flynn

Leo Flynn

Jun 5, 2021
    Are the Rouge fretless basses any good, extremely cheap. I’m going to indulge.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Rogue or rouge? Rogue basses are very cheap and okay. Good enough. If you have a little more to spend I’d recommend a Squier.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

although i love the thought of a "cheap bass" i've never played a rogue fretless. that said: unless you get a lemon, i'd be willing to bet that they can be set up to play well.

since you're "going to indulge" you might want to follow up with your take on your (first?) fretless. those axes are advertised all over the place so rogue must be doing something right.....

the fretless rogues get some negative PR from folks who:
    - can't play fretless in the first place.
    - are brand snobs and who can be swayed if the price is high enough.
    - suffer from confirmation bias + generalize too much --- as a personal style.

good luck with your fretless! :thumbsup: let us know what you think!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    BamaBird and Bass V like this.
  4. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I've tried a few Rogues through the years, including a fretless, and have always been pleasantly surprised. Fun way to spend a few bucks.

OldFenderPlayer, BamaBird and JRA like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    For $99 it's worth trying, I guess.
    Might be worth buying.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    My bass is turning rouge as the crimson ages.

seedokebass, BamaBird and Gorn like this.
  7. My son had one for a while -- I was surprised at the quality for the $ and hey no SHARP FRET ENDS to deal with like most instruments at this price point!!!! ....... I have a Squire Jazz Fretless..... but for 99.00 DELIVERED ......
    I might need a fretless P/J --- worst case Ic an give it to a grandkid to "start out" on

Some links to info here if you haven't made a buying decision yet...I stumbled on the sale early this morning before searching here at TB.

Curb ALert!! Sale Fretless !!

8. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I have one and my son has a lefty. They sound pretty decent.

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I had one, but previous owner upgraded it extensively, it had Geezer Butler pickups on it and bridge was a Badass 2. So I can't speak for the stock pickups and electronics, but the neck was decent enough on it, had no complaints.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021